Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Weeping Mulberry Tree  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Weeping Mulberry Tree
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »
Can I transplant a Weeping Mulberry Tree that has been in the ground for 7 years to another location?

Is this tree frost hardy?  I am not sure if a tree looses its leaves if it can still be hurt by frost?

Does this tree have an invasive root system?

Thanks
Doret

Offline Piet Strydom

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • be-amazed
Re: Weeping Mulberry Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:22:48 AM »
Sorry Doret , i have no Idea on this one

Offline mykeac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
This response is many years later but may be of some slight use! The fact that the tree is deciduous makes it perfect for transplanting after losing all its leaves! However, you will need to dig a hole around it at least 2 meters wide in total and about as much deep prior to moving it! I have a sister who moved a full-grown oak tree this way. The first year she dug down only and the 2nd year she dug it out and successfully transplanted it - up in Vereeniging.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:37:29 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 22:36:43 PM »
Thanks Mykeac  :)
Useful knowledge to have for all those deciduous trees

to our Forum
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »
Weeping mulberry has a wild root stock if I am not mistaken. They grow like weeds! I once bought a 1.8m tall weeping mulberry and when I took it out of the 50l bag I saw it had just been replanted into the bag. They way I knew was that it had NO roots. I called the nursery and told them and they laughed and said, it will grow. So I planted it and the tree did not even blink, just went on as if nothing happened. I don't think you have to go as big as 2 meters, in fact, you can go WAY smaller. Just get it out and plunk it in the ground somewhere else.

And yes, they are very hardy and could not care less about frost. I have a young one and where I have lost over 20 other trees due to black frost the mulberry happily goes on. Last winter we went down to -6 C with wind which caused A LOT of damage. And that for days on end!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 22:51:05 PM »
I wish I could transplant my neighbour's mulberry tree  - it does nothing for my washing when fruiting.  >:(
Never regret anything that made you smile.