Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Yellow Chafer beetle  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Cameel Baichan

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Yellow Chafer beetle
« on: January 22, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »
I've got a terrible infestation of yellow and black chafer beetle on my roses.  They dont even give the roses a chance to open.  I've got about 7 beetles per flower.  So far none of the pesticides I've used have helped.  I've even tried Ludwig's insect spray, but that hasnt helped too.  I know Ludwig suggest trapping them with fresh fruit as a lure.  But that is so messy and untidy.  Does anyone have any good tips. 

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow Chafer beetle
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 17:51:10 PM »
I can't take credit for this, I read it in a magazine:  Beetles are attracted by yellow colours, so use a yellow bucket and fill it with water with a layer of oil on top. Rose beetles check in but never check out. It will be unsightly though.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:16:50 AM »
Ooh I must try that - I am also having a problem with my roses, something is eating the leaves, making my rose leaves look like holly leaves, or devouring them entirely.  I suspect it's a chafer beetle or beetles as one found it's way into my laptop bag one day and I discovered it to the amusement of my male colleagues at work the next morning...
Janine

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:16:50 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
Sorry, that should read HALF fill the bucket.

My rose leaves are being eaten at night by small grasshoppers. really small. I couldn't see any pest in the day and was mystified. The nursery people said to spray Malasol in the evening, but I don't do the poison thing so the grasshoppers moet maar eet, ha ha. The half-eaten leaves seem to be getting fewer now so hopefully they've moved on.

The beetles usually go straight for the flowers and burrow into them. I don't know if they eat leaves too.

Offline jackkotze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 14:18:59 PM »
Maybe the old garlic trick. Boil 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic in about 2 liters of water for around 5 minutes. Let cool and spray your roses. I only know that it works well for veggies. Only problem is that you need to spray often. Every 2 days or so.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 14:22:46 PM »
Thanks Jack!  would it deter grasshoppers too?

Ludwig's Insect Spray is also a garlic concoction that you have to spray often. I have it but too lazy to spray so often  :D

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 23:43:48 PM »
Maybe the old garlic trick. Boil 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic in about 2 liters of water for around 5 minutes. Let cool and spray your roses. I only know that it works well for veggies. Only problem is that you need to spray often. Every 2 days or so.

Thanks Jack
Good to see you posting. Will definitely give it a go  :good:

Herma
That saying about "You can bring a horse to water but cannot make it drink" sounds somewhat familiar  LOL
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 23:36:50 PM »
Jack
I had a lot of problems with the Red Shoulder Beetle on my Avocado in the heat wave, so I tried your Garlic remedy and I must say it worked wonders  :good:
Thanks
Never regret anything that made you smile.