Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: The lawn saga continued  (Read 7677 times)

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
The lawn saga continued
« on: February 13, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
I've just had my visit from the S.Ayers man regarding my lawn.  He thinks my lawn got a fungus because of the humidity and advises that we replant with seed he will provide in March, when the weather cools down. He said that I couldn't have running grass (from plugs) on my lawn as I don't get enough sun, even though I told him I get 4 hours of sun a day, he said it was not enough, and, come winter, would be even less.

But, last night I read on the sa gardening website an article about lawn caterpillars in Cape Town.
(http://www.gardeninginsouthafrica.co.za/)
I mentioned this to him because, funnily enough, it said november to march was problematic with these buggers and that November was the start of my patchy lawn. Also, the pics are very much like the horrible catepillars I keep finding in my garden. I just found one crawling along the grass when he left. the article also said that lawn caterpillars particularly liked evergreen seed, as well as kikuyu, berea and cynoden. The lawn man says not possible because I have cynoden and some other funny grass and they're not fussy, and only the evergreen died.

What do you think?

Heinie

Re: The lawn saga continued
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
Rachel,

a good cure for lawn caterpillars is to mix half a cup Omo washing soap, or something similar, in 20 liters water and pour it over the affected areas. This concoction will also kill crickets in the lawn too. I have used this successfully on many occasions over the years and is guaranteed.  When they surface you can collect them and get rid of them in your favorite manner. I simply crush the b......  ;)

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 14:13:29 PM »
Heinie, does the omo kill the crickets and caterpillars or do I have to collect and kill them? I'm not keen on collecting millions of caterpillars.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 14:13:29 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Heinie

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 15:06:33 PM »
Rachel,

the soap will kill them but it is best to collect them or rake them away into a bag because you will have ten million ants to eat the dead critters.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 15:56:57 PM »
This is going to sound like a stupid question. Can I sprinkle the omo on the ground and then put the sprinkler on? I'm only asking because I'm wondering what area the 20liters of water must cover and how deep it must be watered in. I don't think 20 litres will go very deep over my whole lawn, postage size that it is.

Heinie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 20:37:42 PM »
Rachel,

yes, you can sprinkle the Omo on the lawn and then water in. The critters feed no deeper than about 50mm so wash the buggers out for good.

Offline Piet Strydom

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • be-amazed
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 20:39:29 PM »
All I can add here is that they will Die very clean ;D

Heinie

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 21:07:57 PM »
Piet, you are correct, it will be a clean death.

Rachel, if you use too much Omo watch the caterpillars and crickets when they come to the surface, they will be white and much easier to see. We used to pour Omo on the lawn as kids like you want to do and then water well and it makes a lovely sliding field. Try it, it is great fun. Be carefull that the foam does not get into your eyes when you walk through it.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 21:16:11 PM »
I remember we had a long piece of plastic that we put omo on to make a slide. I also remember someone always ended up with a sprained ankle. And I would prefer to gather clean worms than dirty ones, they're yukky enough without being filthy.  ;)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 21:16:11 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Heinie

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 21:27:58 PM »
When one slides over the worms it adds to the slippery affect and they are killed off at the same time. The Omo should keep you clean or else put on your diving suit.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 18:04:12 PM »
I am beginning to think I am the victim of an elaborate practical joke. Yesterday evening I sprinkled Omo and watered in, and last night I was kept awake by the singing of the crickets (perhaps they were singing in the shower).
I decided that maybe I did not use enough Omo and maybe, because it did not make foam, it did not work. No dead crickets or worms this morning. So this evening I repeated the process, though using a watering can and hosepipe to make lots of foam, and, as I stood there, washing my lawn, the fresh smell of laundromat in my nose, I suddenly began to wonder...

Heinie, are you laughing at me?

;D ;D ;D

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 18:04:12 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Heinie

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 18:20:23 PM »
Rachel,

no I am not laughing at you. I do laugh because you find and put it in a funny way though. The crickets were singing at there families funeral not realizing that they are next. The omo behavior is a true cure and I have used it many times. I will under no circumstances engage myself in such a trick on someone's garden. Perhaps the mixture was not well blended with the water in the watering can. I will not even blow your garden up.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 19:45:23 PM »
I was just joking. It did strike me as very funny, standing on my lawn (what's left of it) surrounded by foam. I think the problem was left too long (waiting for you know who). All the worms have gone, hopefully though, that damn cricket outside my window will be tickets now.