Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Bougenvillea  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Bougenvillea
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:05:44 AM »
I've noticed a neighbour has a white bougenvillea growing over their wall. It's really beautiful, but I've not seem one in any nursery. Does anyone know where to get one?

Offline Dries

• Driesesgarden
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
Re: Bougenvillea
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »
I am not a lover of Bougenvillia but they are freely available in Gauteng. They are vigerous growers!!!
Regards
Dries Olivier
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
Tel. 0832646230

Heinie

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
Rachel,

Although the Bougainvillea is beautiful when in flower I hate the plant for the mess it makes when the flowers and leaves drop off. The shoots grow about a meter or more during a day and grows into anything like roof trusses, cracks in walls etc. if not trimmed and checked regularly. They look best in someone else's garden or in the middle of a garden the size of a soccer field. There are two plants that I destroyed with a passion over the years whenever I was transferred around South Africa during my working career and found them in the new garden and that was the Bougainvillea and the Ivy. I destroyed a huge Bougainvillea when I erected my shade house 3 years ago. I am still trying to get rid of the last few stubborn shoots of Ivy, that was planted all over my entire garden as a ground cover by previous owners, after almost 3 years. Both these plants should be classed as intruder plants and not sold at nurseries and garden centres. Does that explain my abhorrence to them.

They grow easy from cuttings.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 13:59:10 PM »
Sheesh! didn't realised you guys thought they were enemy number one.  :mean:

My neighbour has one in a big terracotta pot, it looks really nice, and not out of control because it's in a pot. Promise not to plant it out, but not too bothered about the mess it makes when it drops it's flowers. The hibiscus trees drop leaves and flowers every day by the dozens for months on end in my garden.

Good luck with the ivy

Offline Lotsalilys

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 14:39:42 PM »
Rachel,

That is the key, plant them in large pots and give them something to climb, they are beautiful that way and can't cause any trouble. I took care of one for a friend for awhile, and really enjoyed it. I once saw one covering a brick wall in a sun room, it was a variegated one with bight pink blooms, the effect was stunning. The people told me they brought it from their home in California.

Heinie,

I know what you mean about the ivy, it looks great on old brick homes, as long as it is someone elses home.

Dries,

I didn't think there was a plant you didn't like!

John
My goodness isn't this fun!!!

Offline Midge

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 14:54:00 PM »
The problem with both these are that if they are in the right climate, they will take over before you know and it becomes hard to control as well.  Bougenvillea are indeed very messy as Heinie said.  But in KZN they make a beautiful sight - in someone elses garden...
Regards

Midge

Cell:  +27 083 627 1232
Fax:  +27 086 528 1701

A garden is a thing of beauty and a job forever - Anonymous