Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Free Daylily seeds  (Read 3530 times)

Offline John Mann

• View Profile
Free Daylily seeds
« on: March 19, 2008, 15:13:41 PM »
Hello friends:
For years I bought the best Daylily releases for my breeding program. Three years ago, we had an extremely cold and snow free winter. 1600 mother plants were killed. My program was finished.
In a special refrigerator, I had many hundreds of seeds. Many were my crosses for that year. Hundreds were seeds that I had bought from breeders that were very talented but not well known. These seeds are from the best of the best at that time. All these seeds are still there.
I will not check for viability but will put them all together and ship to my SA friends that wish to try some. None will be labeled and all resultant plants will be called seedlings. None are selfed, but all hybred crosses.
It would be best if someone ,that has the time, to volunteer to act as receiver of the box of seeds and pass them to all those interested.
The seeds will need to be soaked and I think that most will germinate. No guarantees, of course. But, the price is right.
Let me hear what you think and wish to do.
Best regards,
John Mann      jmann@worldpath.net
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 17:15:50 PM by teeman1 »

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
Re: Free Daylily seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 18:12:57 PM »
John,
What a wonderfully kind and generous offer!  Also, what a hard-to-read story.  I know they are only plants, but I understand that the time and money put into something like that makes it quite a loss to bear.
I have only seen this post right now.  No-one has posted on it since last November, and I personally did not have a notify on it - which I realise now that I see your post.  I am supposing that the other daylily fans [pardon the pun] have also not seen the post else I'm sure you would have had many replies.

I think that Dries will be very interested in your offer.  I am only collecting named cultivars, but he has a breeding program that could incorporate such seeds, I presume.  Dries will know best, I am sure he will see your post soon enough.

Tell me, John, are you going to resume your breeding program, and collect plants again? [Climb back on the proverbial horse, so to speak]?

I looked your name up on Tinkers quickly before I replied.  I didn't see it.  Have you registered any cultivars?

South Africa is so far behind, but thanks to the likes of Dries and Barry, we are making headway.

Best regards,

Melanie.
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Dries

• Driesesgarden
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 19:01:10 PM »
I have seen the post and had a discussion with John. Unfortunately I do not have the space. For anyone who has, I would suggest, JUMP AT IT!!!!
Regards
Dries Olivier
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
Tel. 0832646230

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 19:01:10 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Berge

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:49:38 AM »
Hi Mel,

I am new to this site. Was good to see some people talk about daylilies. I have been in daylilies for some time and my place is called DAYLILY PARK which is in Wellington(South Africa). I have about 300 daylilies in my collection.
Perhaps we must share some pictures on SPIDERS. I have some lovely ones, must still work out how to post them.

Regards
Chris

Offline Dries

• Driesesgarden
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:00:55 AM »
Welcome Chris!!!! Good to have another Daylily fan!!! Our numbers are growing!!!!
I am still in Europe but will be back in RSA next week.
Regards
Dries Olivier
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
Tel. 0832646230

Offline Piet Strydom

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • be-amazed
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 18:06:30 PM »
Welcome Chris , we would love to see your Daylily photos,  there is instructions on the forum somewhere how to post photo's . first thing you have to do is go to http://www.photobucket.com this is a free photo hosting site , greate yourself albums there , upload your photo's and then copy and paste the IMG CODE  you will find on the bottom of the picture into the forum topic , let us know if you are stll having problems.

Offline Basil

• Gardener
    • View Profile
    • Swartspruit Plants & Reptiles
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 23:24:18 PM »
Hi John,

Are these seeds still availabe ? If so, how do we go about getting hold of some. I stay on a smallholding (4 hectares) and space is no problem.

Thanks
Basil
Regards
Basil Gorlt

www.swartspruit.co.za

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 22:29:44 PM »
Hi Chris,
Only seen your post now.  I am the Mel/Melanie that emailed you on 10th March, having found your ad for Daylily Park!  Great that you've 'hooked' up with the forum.  I have just seen your spider pics.  Great stuff.  Spiders have, admittedly, not been my thing, [enjoy the round, full-looking blooms] but have just acquired one - Black Arrowhead, whose bloom I'm keen to see!  For me it's ridding the old mindset of the 'common' orange & yellow daylilies whose blooms are relatively similar to spiders with their long thin petals.  John, in the USA says, quite rightly, that they add interest to a sea of daylilies.  I went to a local grower during the peak season and there was one strip of spiders amongst all the others that certainly did 'dance in the wind'.  Didn't get it's name, but hope to on my return.

Best regards,

Mel.
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Berge

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »
Hi Dries, Thanks for the wecome note.

Hi Piet Strydom, thanks for the help on posting photos. As jou can see from my spider pics, it worked. The pics are a bit big, still need to sort that out.

Hi Mel, yes spiders are not every ones love, I love them all - normals, doubles, minatures etc. I have managed to hibridize my first minature spider last year, the first one I have ever seen. I will take a photo in the new bloom season. Will share some of my latest imports of others shortly.

Regards
Chris

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 14:28:25 PM »
Wow, a mini spider, now that sounds novel... and very interesting!
Keen to see.
Mel.
Best Regards,

Mel.