Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: New regulation affecting mainly Cycads  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • The Clivia Forum
New regulation affecting mainly Cycads
« on: March 05, 2007, 22:37:41 PM »
Hi all

Is anyone aware of the new conservation regulations.

Part of the regulation, which has great impact on Cycad breeders, states that dealing in Endangered/protected species, you must be able to prove that the plants/seeds were not obtained from the wild, which could involve DNA testing, and you having to foot the bill if it is proven that it is from wild populations.

Bear in mind this regulation was tabled last year, and it seems only the Game Farming community voiced their opinions, the regulation has been accepted and becomes law from the 1st of June 2007.

The documentation can be viewed on my website at http://www.cliviaforum.co.za/regs.htm
Gideon
www.cliviaforum.co.za
081-3963143

Offline fouquieria

• Gardener
    • View Profile
New regulation affecting mainly Cycads
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:05:11 AM »
Well, I will say that I don't know the specifics of the issues involved in South Africa.  Let me say however, that the major problem with extinction of plants and animals on this planet are LOSS OF HABITAT.

Yes, there are other issues involved.  I know the ZA Cycaders seem focused on poaching, but truly this is secondary to actual loss of habitat.

My personal feeling is that if national AND international laws (CITES) were relaxed, the ability to save some of these treasures would become much easier.  There are many plants (and to a certain extent some animals) that are virtually extinct in habitat, but pantropic.  Delonix regia, the Flamboyant tree is rare and endangered in its home of Madagascar but is one of the most well known tropical trees in the world because it is everywhere.

Encephalartos cycads are a very popular landscape plant in Southern California because they are not only beautiful but also they grow well and easily in our environment.

-Ron-
Please click my Inspired button:
http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Offline Piet Strydom

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • be-amazed
New regulations
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 20:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the info , I see on the S.A cycad forum that some of the top Cycad collectors are having a meeting with Nature Concervation this week to put our case as legal growers/Collectors forward. hopefully there maybe some slack in the laws. I have no problem with the large fines for people removing plants in situ , they should even double the sentences. But to stop us buying seedlings and plants legally to keep as a investment and hobby is wrong. We woun't even be allowed to keep our plants for our Grand Children , Plants that we grow from seed .

Piet

Gardener Forum

New regulations
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 20:28:38 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: New regulation affecting mainly Cycads
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 20:15:02 PM »
What is the latest here?

Offline Warren

• View Profile
Re: New regulation affecting mainly Cycads
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:18:29 AM »
I would also like to know the latest on this.