Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: What do you grow?  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Gunn M.

• View Profile
What do you grow?
« on: September 26, 2008, 23:47:45 PM »
I am really curious, what do you normally grow in a typical kitchen garden in your part of the world?

I will start with my self:
I grow 3 species of potatoes, 7 types of carrot, 6 different zucchinis and a lot of herbs outdoor. I also have a variety of beans, but the summer was dreadful and most of them did not give much to eat.
Different types of onion, leek and garlic.
Broad beans and sweet peas.

I also have 32 types of tomatoes, in greenhouse and outdoor, peppers, sweet peppers, aubergine and cucumbers in greenhouse.
The outdoor tomatoes are dependent of the summer temperatures, and this year I did not get much from them. I grow hardy species, who are supposed to manage the life in Scandinavia.

I also grow different types of strawberries, American blueberry, 4 east European types of grape, apples, cherry's and some other fruit and berries. 

By the way, I am not sure if my garden is typical...

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you grow?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:21:12 AM »
Welcome and Wow!

What do you do with all the vegies that you grow? Like 32 varieties of toms must produce quite a crop. You must
post some pix of your vegie setup - we would be delighted to see them.

I grow a few vegies but nothing on the scale you mention here.

Which of the Toms would be the hardiest? Perhaps I could get a variety that may grow for our autumn. I only seem to get one crop out and that is around Xmas - it seems to be too cold at first and then it is too hot after which it gets cold again. Here is my Tom plant on which I have my money on to have fresh Toms for Xmas.

My spuds I grow from my peelings depends what variety I buy at the time.

Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Gunn M.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
I grow a lot of russian tomatoes.

I buy them from here:

http://tomatsidan.se/

'Alaska' is one of my favorites.

I only have one or two plants of each kind, and my family loves tomatoes. This summer was not a hot one, and I did not manage to produce enough tomatoes. Our weather is a problem. But I always keep trying.

Send me your name and address in a PM, and I will send you a couple of seeds from some of my Russian tomatoes.

The poor plants will probably think that your winters is mid summer, comparing the temperatures...   

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Heinie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 08:21:59 AM »
Gunn,

This is great to see a vegatable discussion here. We do not have too many to read. I agree with Abby, please send us some photos of your veg setup.

Offline Ernst

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 08:25:49 AM »
Another Wow!

In South Africa that will called small commercial. ( Your reply came in while I typed mine.)

I am talking about what I see around and what I do.
Normally we will have a few plants of the following but not more than 2 or three varieties each:
Tomatoes, beans, onion, green pepper, red chillies, cauliflower, beetroot, carrots, cucumber, pumpkin.
Depending on the area, Avocado, Banana, Mango, Grenadilla, Paw Paw, Guava (not permitted to plant anymore), orage, tangerine, lemon, lime and/or a few peach, apricot, grape, fig, plum, and in the larger and older gardens, we have Pommegranate and Quinces.

Our gardens do not allow to many of the above and in many cases people do not plant veggies anymore and concentrate on flowers, trees and shrubs for the show.
Veggies are not to expensive where I stay with commercial farms 30 Km away. I only have 15 Banana, Pimento, Chillies, 2 Guava, strawberries and Tomatoes (year round)

This is my perception it is maybe different elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:28:25 AM by Ernst »
Regards,

Ernst &  Kobie

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »
Wow!
Do you hybridise your tomatoes? Do you want seed from South African cultivars?
I grow, with varying degrees of success:
Herbs: basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, lemon grass, parsley, mint
Veg: Jerusalem artichoke, globe artichoke, beans, onions, cauliflower, cabbage, aubergine, 1 type of tomato!, celery, chillies
Fruit: banana, guava, plums, peaches, avos (one day), macadamia, pecan and almonds.

Offline Gunn M.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 18:37:52 PM »
The reason for me go grow 32 types of tomatoes it that I try out different species to find the best outdoor tomato for my region. Witch is hard, since the summers are caging. 

I do not hybridize tomatoes, Micke in Sweden, where I buy my seeds, is taking care of that. He got a collection with several hundred tomato species. I have only been living in my house for a bit more than 2 years, and I will save that kind of experiments until the garden looks about the way I want it.

I can buy wegs everywhere, and it would probably be cheaper than growing them, but I love to work on my little crop. Then I also know exactly what has been used on them, both fertilizer and poison.

I will put in pictures as soon as i manage to understand how. I am better in the garden then the computer  ;)

Offline Gunn M.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 20:07:39 PM »
By the way, I did goggle Guava, and it is described as a Vitamnin bomb, and a lot of other nice things.
Why can you not plant it any more? Is is invasive?

Some of the names was not very familiar to me, but i suppose i manage to pick up some info. That is partly why I want to join in here.

Offline Ernst

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 20:15:46 PM »
Gunn,

Have a look here, re Guavas in SA.

http://www.biodiversityexplorer.org/plants/myrtaceae/
Regards,

Ernst &  Kobie

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 20:15:46 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Gunn M.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 21:49:11 PM »
Thanks, that explained the problem.

Sorry for stupid questions. In my part of the world, tropical plants are normally not invasive...  :o

Offline Matt

• Environmental worrier
    • View Profile
    • Flint.ZA
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 16:29:36 PM »
Yet another Wow! Your setup really does sound like you could run a farm stall from it :)

I'm new to gardening in general (moved into a place with a big garden about a year ago). I'm trying my hand at veggies-determining what grows (or more accurately, what I don't kill off ;)) and would love to get to a point where I don't have to depend on supermarkets for veggies for at least part of the year. My veggie patch is around 7mx7m and gets good sun for 6-7 hours a day. I have tried/am trying:
-Tomatoes: no luck yet, planted too late I think
-Potatoes: planted late and killed by frost, but WOW did we get a surprise crop :)
-Cauliflower: Had a wonderful crop last year, very VERY yum :)
-Spinach: Doing very well.
-Lettuce: Did well, but that was off seedlings, so it hardly counts..
-Carrots: also got a super crop last year
-Beans: Loads and loads (even I can't stuff beans up ;) )
-Snap peas: most plants didn't survive
-Butternuts and pumpkins: Plants died off before bearing fruit
-Cucumbers: A few fruit, all too small to eat
-Onions: plants are doing well, bulbs are tiny though :(
-Bell peppers: we'll see, I scavenged some seeds off a couple of shop bought peppers, the plants are doing well :)
-Mealies: Another good crop, and also very tasty
-Strawberries: Lots of runners from our original two plants, they're all bearing (loads of) fruit, but all small and quite sour

Here's a shot of some of our first crops :)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 16:29:36 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Wayne

• Master Gardener
  • Gardening in general, every aspect and all plants
    • View Profile
    • Garden design
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
Hi Matt. We are from the same neck of the woods, so I know what you are going through with our seasonal cold that we experience.

My problem this year was with Mouse Birds who ate my crops.

I grew:

Spinach-Mousebirds
Cabbage-Mousebirds
Chinese lettuce-Mousebirds
Peas-Mousebirds
Brussel sprouts-Some taken by mouse birds
Leeks
Radishes
Broad beans
Carrots
And a lovely crop of sweetpeas in the same area, which were first taken down by the dreaded MB, but came back spectacularly once there was sufficient other things for them to eat.
Wayne Strydom
"Because Gardening is supposed to be fun!"
www.gardendesign.co.za
www.squidoo.com/allaboutgardening

Offline Matt

• Environmental worrier
    • View Profile
    • Flint.ZA
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »
Hi Wayne,
It's interesting to see what someone else in my area is having success with :)
I saw your posts on protective measures against the mousebirds. Strangely enough while I have quite a few frequenting my garden (and I suspect a breeding pair as well), they don't seem to have touched my vegetables yet. All the same, I'm also going to be looking for protective methods soon.

Offline Wayne

• Master Gardener
  • Gardening in general, every aspect and all plants
    • View Profile
    • Garden design
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
Yeah! I need to find the time to put up a tunnel of sorts. I read with interest the postings on putting up plastic vs bird netting.  I guess if we want a good crop of certain things, we have to make a way for the bees and other bugs to do their thing...
Wayne Strydom
"Because Gardening is supposed to be fun!"
www.gardendesign.co.za
www.squidoo.com/allaboutgardening

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 01:32:53 AM »

My toms are growing to schedule and I should have some home grown toms for Xmas

Never regret anything that made you smile.