Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: hippeastrum seeds  (Read 5967 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
hippeastrum seeds
« on: October 14, 2008, 14:26:44 PM »
Hi there;

I've attempted quite a few crosses amongst the hippeastrums that flowered for me so far this year.  This is the first that is showing promise of viable seeds: 

These pods are a result of the following cross:

Pollen Parent:     

Pod Parent:     

Both parents are NOIDs in this case.  I cant say for sure yet whether the seeds are going to be viable or not. 

Ideally, I wish I could keep and grow every single seed that I end up with, but unfortunately I am currently limited my space.  So I am only going to keep a few of the seeds and the rest is available to anyone else who would like to have them.  I wouldnt want to waste them and would be happy to know that they are being cared for somewhere else.  I will post pics of seeds of other crosses as they become available (if any). PM me with your name and postal address if interested in any seeds. 

Jeremy

Heinie

Re: hippeastrum seeds
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 14:37:36 PM »
Well done Jeremy. I can very clearly collect that you are completely addicted now if you already say that I wish I could keep and grow every single seed that I end up with 

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »
Hi there;

I also have seeds of the following cross now for any one who is interested in having a few:

Pod parent:                  

Pollen parent: (ELVAS) :    

I'm very interested in the outcome of this cross since its a double crossed with a single. 

PM with your name and postal address if you would like a few seeds of this cross. 

Best regards;
Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:14:25 AM by Jeremy »

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »
OOOH Jeremy....   :love:

Please, please, PLEASE!!!! 

I would love to have some of those seeds too, please!

Janine
Janine

Offline Tia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 13:58:15 PM »
OOOOOOO they so beautiful.
"A bend in the road is not the end of the road, unless you fail to make the turn."

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 21:43:42 PM »
Hi All,
From the first set of parents pictured above, I have seeds from Jeremy that are busy floating.  They are in my kitchen.  No sun.  Went in last Friday and water changed on the following days: Sun, Tues, Thurs, Sun (today).  Room temperature tap-water each time.  No signs of life yet.

Any pointers, please?  He also sent me seeds of the second pair of parents, but I am nervous to start these... in case I botch up the first batch :-\
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 07:25:07 AM »
Hi Mel,

For some strange reason only known to the post office, the first batch of seeds that Jeremy sent me were returned to him but I did receive the second lot (the elvas cross).  Mine have been floating for about a week and a half now and on Friday afternoon I noticed that there were tiny little white roots showing.

Jeremy was saying that his first lot hadn't sprouted and he would only resend the seeds if they did.  Jeremy, did the first lot germinate?

I floated mine in half a jar of clean, cool tap water, put the lid on and put them on the wall unit which gets some light but no sun.  I did not change the water at all.  I will be planting them into soil soon, I just want the little roots to be a bit stronger first...
Janine

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:50:29 AM »
Mel,

I just checked on Piet's website that very nicely describes the flotation process, with pics - thanks Piet!

If you go onto Piet's profile page and click on the link to his website, you can find it under the amaryllis section, under propogation information.

Hope it helps!
Janine

Heinie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 07:58:40 AM »
Janine,

My opinion is that you should change the water very regularly like Mel.

The floating method is not my choice of germinating seeds but in my opinion the changing of the water becomes very critical now that the roots are appearing. Any live organism needs oxygen and there is not sufficient oxygen present in water and therefore the reason that live material rot under water. The reason why I say that is you are getting increasingly more potential rotting material in the water as the roots start to grow which changes the structure of the water. The more material under water the higher the chance of fungus and bad bacteria. This is only my personal opinion and I do not want to convince you to do otherwise at all. Do your own test and put a piece of potato peel in water and monitor it closely for a week or two for visible changes. Pay special attention to what happens on top of the water where fungus and bacteria thrives because they are live organisms.

My choice of germinating seeds is in Coco Peat where I had very good success with many types of seeds. The very necessary AFP in the Coco Peat is excellent. I have germinated Clivia seeds in numerous mediums but Coco Peat remains an outstanding number one for me.

All the above is only my humble tried and tested opinions of which I can write a book on. I will do so once Rachel completed her book to assist me.   ;)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 07:58:40 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:40 AM »
Heinie,

Thanks for the feedback.

I see the logic in changing the water regularly, but as I mentioned in a separate post with a question to Piet, I was unsure if the change in water may negatively affect them as it does fish sometimes when you bring them home from the pet shop and introduce them into their new environment.  Either way, I may have to take the chance as my jar is WAY too small for all the seeds as I didn't realise at the time I needed to leave them in the water for as long as they do - I figured they get planted out once the first roots start showing.  Ah well, trial and error is the only way you learn and we all have to start somewhere   :)

Janine

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 15:49:45 PM »
Hi there;

I change the water about once a week - I dont think more often is very necessary. 

Janine, there still isnt any signs of growth for the seeds of the first lot - they might not grow at all.  However, like you, the seeds from the second cross posted above have also started to grow - just the white root-like structure for now.  You will need to wait until the first leaf is about 5 cm before planting them out in soil.

Jeremy

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 15:49:45 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 18:15:35 PM »
Thanks to Heinie, or was it Midge's comment long ago (where is Midge, by the way??)  to the effect that 'no question is stupid'... I will ask the following:
What difference does it make whether the seeds stay in water once the little roots are out or go into soil?  Jeremy, you suggest that one waits until the leaf is 5cm... sure if it goes into soil (which is also where these seeds can be germinated) and kept moist, the little plant will continue its germinating process?
???
Best Regards,

Mel.

Heinie

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 21:12:46 PM »
Mel,

As I explained above that each person has his/her own opinion of the best manner in germinating  seeds and water is not my preference for very good reasons because I have done it in numerous ways and use the one that works best for me. I do not want it to be understood that I said that the floating method is wrong.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Jeremy   :)

Thanks also to Heinie for your input, it helps those of us who haven't done this before to learn from other people's experiences and perhaps decide what we think is best or easiest for us...
Janine

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 22:42:44 PM »
Yes, Heinie, no worries of you being understood as that from my end.
However, the question still remains unanswered.  If one does do the water method, should one leave them in there for some reason that I don't understand, or may they go into the soil as soon as germinating/germinated?  (Given that they can be germinated on a solid medium)???

Now, here's my good news of why I can to this thread now, and then saw Heinie's reply:

I have one seed germinated from the first batch!

What happened is that instead of giving up and throwing them out (the eternal optimist), I decided to leave them there in that same water and stop changing the water.  The little radicle emerged on either Sat or Sun.  I was so excited!  Now, I don't know if it is the more 'stale' water that did it or just the length of time in water!  So, Jeremy, have you turfed your batch of that cross out?

Now that my confidence is boosted I shall begin the next lot!!!
Best Regards,

Mel.