Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: hippeastrum seeds  (Read 5965 times)

Heinie

Re: hippeastrum seeds
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 07:04:41 AM »
Mel,

The Coco Peat I make use of is the solid medium you refer to and I feel that any seedling gets a head start after it germinates in a medium and is allowed to continue it's growth in that same medium without disturbing the roots. The seedling can then stay in Coco Peat for as long as you like. You can even leave the seedling growing in it to flowering stage.

I also make use of Coco Peat very successfully to re-root any Clivia seedlings and large plants that experienced root rot, or other plant cuttings, without any "aid" of rooting products or Superthrive.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
 :woohoo:

Well, in case you missed it, I am VERY excited!

I noticed yesterday that four of the seeds already have some green leaves on, the remaining seven all have a nice long root and there is no reason to expect them not to start putting out leaves soon too.  This is roughly two and a half weeks after putting them in water, with only one water change on Sunday...  As soon as they are a little bigger and a little less fragile, I will plant them out into a suitable growing medium.

:dance:

:party:
Janine

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
I second that  :woohoo: !!!

Great going guys! Nice to hear that the seeds are growing.  I'm especially excited that one from the first batch is growing for you Mel!  I need to go and check my ones again - havent chucked them out yet, but kind of forgotten about them now.  Although i did make the crosses myself, these plants were all left outside during flower and there is the possibility of some "selfing" that may have occurred due to the insects in my garden.  It is possible for a single seed pod to possess seeds formed from pollen from 2 different sources - so, its just a thought, but what if the one seed that germinated for you Mel is the result on a pollen grain from the pod parent that found its way to the same stigma that I pollinated? There's a small chance that this may have happend - but can't rule out the possibility all together.  Can't wait to see the results at flowering time! 

You should have no problems getting the second lot to germinate Mel. 

With regards to transferring them to the soil - I feel that whichever method you choose to start them off, its good to keep them growing like that for a while until they are strong enough to handle a move.  If started in soil/peat, there's no need to move them.  However, if started in water, then they will need to be moved at some stage - but when?  I like the "float on water" method because its easy to track whether they are germinating or not without disturbing them and I feel that there's a greater germination rate this way (hasnt been proved though).  However i do feel that the roots formed in water might not be as strong as those started in soil - i imagine so called "water-roots" are formed which will need to adjust to the new soil environment when moved.  That is why i wait until the seedling gets a little bigger and a 5cm or so leaf so that its making its own food before moving them.  Do not leave them in the water for much longer than that - the effects on the seedling arent very good since there is no nutrients in the water like in soil.  Anyway, these are all just my own theories and have no evdience to back them up.  I did however attempt a little experiment this year by putting some seeds of one of my crosses on water, and some seeds of the same cross directly into soil to compare their progress.  Will share the results if interesting.

Jeremy

Gardener Forum

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
Hi guys;

This is the last lot of hippi seeds I have available for anyone interested in growing them:

Pod parent: "Intokazi"   

Pollen Parent: "Ragtime" 

PM me with your postal address if you would like some of the seeds.

Jeremy

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2008, 23:07:25 PM »
More good news - a second one has germinated!
I changed the water.  Saw tiny spots - like a bit of mould on one of the seeds, so figured it's time to change.  However, am thinking that maybe they like the more 'natural' water... so not changing as frequently, with this first batch anyway.
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
Thats great Mel!

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 11:49:37 AM »
 :party:

Hi Jeremy,

Just to let you know that I have planted out the seedlings that germinated using the flotation method - I will post some pics soon. 

Janine
Janine

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
That's great Janine! Look forward to the pics!

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Finally the promised pics...

I also received the Intokazi and Ragtime x seeds Jeremy - will float them this week and hope for the best   ;D
Janine

Gardener Forum

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 22:10:45 PM »

They look great Janine  :clap: Keep us posted.

From those parents you should have beautiful babies.  :)

Sigh! Only three years to wait  ;)
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 07:16:22 AM »
hehehe, thanks Abby.

Three looong years as anyone who knows me well will tell you I am not the most patient person around and absolutely hate waiting!

Will keep you all updated of the progress of these - they were from Elvas and a pink and white NOID that looks similar to Apple Blossom.  I agree they should be well worth the wait and with 10 out of the 11 seeds growing who knows, if they all survive, I could perhaps spread them around once we know what the blooms look like.

I put some of the Intokazi x Ragtime seeds in water yesterday so we'll see how they go.
Janine

Gardener Forum

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 07:16:22 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »
Hi Janine,
Strange, I was wondering just yesterday what your seedlings looked by now... missed your pics.  Thanks for posting them.  Gives me incentive on what to look forward to :)
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 15:10:35 PM »
Hi Mel,

In a separate post this morning I mentioned planting some of them out into bigger more permanent containers.  Once the second leaves are a little bigger and easier to spot on a pic I will post pics for you.

How are yours doing?
Janine

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 05:19:49 AM »

:woohoo:   Welcome back Jeremy  

We missed you - seen you browsing(lurking)

Hope you had a good time and bought back plenty of pix

Also an update on seedlings etc. would be nice. :)

Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
Mel,

How have your seedlings been doing?

I have lost most of mine and only have about 2 or 3 of each cross left....
Janine