Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: hippeastrum seeds  (Read 5966 times)

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: hippeastrum seeds
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 13:48:55 PM »
 :'( Sorry to hear that Janine

But at least you have some to go on with
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 17:02:25 PM »
Hi Janine.
Not sure where, if I did, but am sure I posted about my Hippie situation.  I am still not the proud owner of even 1!!  All were lost (but not all is lost ;) ).  I looked after those chaps so diligently, the little ones that had germinated of the one lot, but they eventually (altho I changed the water), looked diseased and still did not grow.  I then planted them in a big pot that had other plants I was looking after (to ensure that they got that little extra (die-hard-optimist) care), but alas, even I have to sometimes cut my losses :(

Thanks for asking...
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »
 I can send you some more seed if you are interested  :)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 08:15:38 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »
Hi Abby,

Thanks for the offer but I am a little 'seeded out' at the moment, been struggling with seeds for the last while and am afraid my confidence levels have taken a bit of a beating...  :(

Mel, I am sorry to hear you lost all of them, I know how you feel! 

I said to my husband on the weekend, although it's rewarding to watch something grow from seed and reach maturity and all that, I think I should rather limit myself to purchasing plants or flowering size bulbs and not seeds, I get too despondent when they die.

It was good experience though :)
Janine

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »
Hi Guys;

I'm sorry to hear about your Hippi losses.  What exactly happened to them?  I would say that the hardest part to growing them from seed would be getting them established in the soil.  But after surviving a few weeks in the soil they usually become very hardy little plants.  Unfortunately I also had some bad luck with the seedlings I planted last year.  I recently purchased this mini greenhouse structure (its from GAME if anyone has seen it there and know what I am talking about) and I put most of my seedlings and other delicate plants in this multi-level structure.  To my dismay, last week some time I came home from work to find the entire thing had fallen over - most of the pots had been turned upside down with soil and seedlings all emptied out onto the ground   :(  I am still so disappointed about the whole thing as some of the other plants also got damaged.  I've gathered together the tiny little bulbs that I found after sifting through the sand but have yet to replant them.  Luckily its winter now and they dont grow much during winter - I might just wait until spring before I re-plant them even though it is recommended that hippi seedlings younger than a year old not be allowed to go dormant.  I had seedlings of about 5 or 6 different hippi crosses that were clearly labelled with tags that I had poked into the soil of the pots - but when they fell over the tags all flew away and now they are all mixed together and I dont know what crosses they are anymore either :( 

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
Jeremy, I'm really stoked to see a post from you again!
I had a similar experience to you last year, all my Chinese clivia seedlings were knocked over and the labels mixed. I was really disappointed, but they recovered, and I resigned myself to the fact that they don't really mind what I call them. So hopefully your seedlings will recover too and give you joy one day.

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 16:54:09 PM »
Hi Michael;

Its good to see that you are back on the forum as well.  I'm not very active on the forum thesedays - I just sneak in now and again to check what's going on.  Its true that plants wont really mind what I call them - but I do!  The main reason for my disappointment though is because these are all my own crosses and I wanted to see how the offspring compared with the parents - for example what % doubles I would get from a single crossed with a double or which parent's characteristics would dominate in certain crosses - things like that.  Now I would never know what the parents were for over 100 seedlings - i can only guess.  Anyways - I'd like to think it happend for a reason and have come to accept it now.  I also hope they recover and if they do flower some day it will be even more of a surprise more me since I will have no idea what to expect from them!  Very exciting...

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 14:21:37 PM »
Hi Jeremy,

I tried to reply to you the other day but the PC crashed and I have been sick and then had month end activities so sorry for the late reply...

I am not sure what happened to them, I watered them and cared for them, cut back on the watering once it started getting colder and I don't know, the leaves just frizzled and died.  Thinking about it now, the bulbs seemed firm still but I was so dishearted and disappointed I tossed them.  I only have about 10 left from all those that you sent me.

I did ask on the forum a while back if seedlings went dormant in the winter and general consensus was that they did not when they were still small so I assumed they had died.  I have not sorted out the most recent ones that appear to have died and if they seem to be still firm I will keep them and replant in spring and see what happens.

Ah well, such is life, you live and learn!
Janine

Offline Jeremy

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Hi Janine;

I dont think that you needed to cut back on the water at all - seedlings under a year old are usually kept growing as usual throughout the year.  If the bulbs were still firm they probably would have still survived when you resumed watering again.  My seedlings that were toppled over are all still firm.  I spent the weekend re-potting them and I am going to continue watering them as usual.  I dont know if thats the right thing to do or if I should have waited until spring to re-plant them - well, we'll just see what they do now.  I've put them in the same greenhouse structure that toppled over in the first place - it looks much sturdier this time around though - i just hope it doesnt fall over again!

Kind regards;
Jeremy

Gardener Forum

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 11:38:17 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 20:52:25 PM »

Good luck with your seedlings Jeremy

I keep my seedlings on a Northerly window sill at night and cold days during winter in 60 litre containers with lids but do try to take them outside for a few hours when I am around.

The containers create a greenhouse effect and stop the little seedlings from drying out and hence take out some of the guesswork with watering.

Offline Stef de Swardt

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 21:36:40 PM »
I am new to the Hippi story, but there seems to be a lot of similarity to my Clivia.
Just seems to me the methods used for germination is the same type of story as with clivia, when you start.
I refer to 10 seeds in an icecream box, between papertowels, on the back of the fridge.
Luckely one go pass that stage quick.
I now germinate 650 seeds in half an oil drum under a tree outside, with 110% success.

My experience so far is much diffirent to what is described in this informative post:
Firstly I received a hand full of seed from a friend, filled an asbestos container with a mixture as for clivia seeds, and just before winter covered the seeds under half a cm. soil, and forgot about it.
In Spring, I needed the container for clivia seed, and nearly overturned the mixture to add compost.
I saw some green points sprouting, and used another container.
I now have possibly near 300 active seedlings growing outside in the sun, and florishing in the rain.
In another container the same happened.
Last week I had the oppertunity to buy 500 X 3 year old Hippi bulbs, some with 5 to 10 suckers/ small bulbs on them, from an old man on a local plot.
He sows seed in a bed in open sun between beans and sweet patatoes. Thousands germinate, and there he thins them out, and grow them to maturity, in excellent condition.
Is it not something to try??
In winter everyting above the surface freeze off, and then all grows again in spring.
Groete.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 21:36:40 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 23:17:00 PM »
Stef
It is a shame that a lot more people do not grow these beautiful bulbs that produce a full boquet of flowers with one scape. Perhaps they consider it too difficult when in real terms hippies are so easy to grow whether in pots or the garden.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2011, 07:52:43 AM »
I for one adore hippi's and have to exercise some REAL restraint when they are in season as I just want to buy whatever my eyes see and I can lay my hands on.

I still have five of the seedlings I grew from the seed Jeremy sent me and am hoping that maybe next year they may flower.  I am not sure any more which seedlings are from which crosses but I don't care, I am sure I will love them anyway!  I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed for an Elvas cross to have survived my inexperience.

I am also closely watching my clivia seedlings that I grew from the seed Rena sent me.  Unfortunately I only have two left but they seem to be doing well under the shade of a tree, with a little late afternoon sun and a bark mulch to keep the roots and soil protected.

I am quietly optimistic  ;D
Janine