Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: best lawn  (Read 1264 times)

Offline muzi

• View Profile
best lawn
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:36:56 AM »
I need to replace the lawn (kikuyu in really bad shape) in the back section of the house (semi shade). Im not a real fan of Kikuyu due to its poor shade/frost tolerance as well as the fact thats its not indigenous even though its the cheapest & most widely available lawn here in JHB. The area is around 100sq.
Please could you guys provide suggestions for replacement lawn, prefereably indegenous and shade tolerant. I was thinking of Skaaplaas, but seems like its not easily available and its frost tolerating abilities are not the greatest. any suggestions please??

thanks!!!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: best lawn
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 14:46:11 PM »
Hi muzi

Here is a quote from Piet submitted in another theread which may be of assistance

Hi Rachel, I can't give any advice on your problem , I only know Kikuyu grass , that is what works for most of us here up in the highveld. I hope you get a cheap solution for your Problem. WE ALL TAKE NOTE OF THE SERVICE YOU GOT FROM STARKE AYERS.

Here is some Info I got from gardeningeden website  about different type of grass suitable for Most areas

http://www.gardeningeden.co.za/plants-lawns.

Popular choices for most areas?

Buffalo
Tolerates coastal conditions.
This vigorous growing species will be dormant in regions with cold winters. It is softly textured.

Cape Royal
Tolerates drought, heat and traffic.
This species grows reasonably slow, and has a medium texture

Dichondra Wonderlawn
Requires regular watering
A creeping, vigorous growing plant with kidney-shaped foliage, that is ideal for areas difficult to mow.

Florida
Dormant in cold, frosty winters, this grass species is finely textured.

Kikuyu
Tolerates heat, drought and traffic
Requires regular watering and well-draining soil
This very popular choice is mid-green and roughly textured.

Magennis
Tolerates reasonable drought.
Also used for sport fields, this fine grass should be kept short.

Outeniqua
Tolerates medium heat, drought and traffic.
This grass species will also grow in semi-shade and is dormant in the colder winter regions.

Speedy Royal
Popular for using on sport fields, this grass is lovely green with a medium texture.

Swazi grass
Requires full sun.
This grass is dormant in cold winter regions.

Never regret anything that made you smile.