Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Lilium seeds  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Lilium seeds
« on: November 18, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
Now you see what has happened, I come back to say hello and struggle to leave again. I'm even tempted to ditch work and go to the nursery.
I shall not go to the nursery.
Anyway, that is not what this post is about. My liliums made a seed pod and it has dried out now and I've picked it. There are hundreds on tiny tiny seeds inside. They have dark centres and are white on the outside, but I am surprised that they are so small, not even a mm big.

I've been trying to find information on germinating them, but some websites seem to think the seeds are not viable and the plants are sterile while others show the opposite. It does concern me that the seeds are so tiny, perhaps they just did not set properly. Does anyone have experience of germinating these babies?

Nor shall I go the garden centre.
Or the daylily nursery.
Or shop online for exotic plants.

Heinie

Re: Lilium seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 14:03:48 PM »
Rachel,

If you are not going anywhere just read this reply.

The seeds are small and you can sow them now. Put the seeds on a sandy growing medium or seedling growing medium. Cover it lightly with more of the same medium to a thickness of about 2mm. Water and from then on keep it moist in a warm place. Your balcony will do.

They germinate quite soon and grow fast too. I can give you some of my Lilium seeds when they are ready. I have six different types. I will let you know when they are ready then you can tell me when you take a break from your book and you can make us a cup of tea then I will pop in for a few minutes. Howzat.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 15:54:25 PM »
That sounds fab, Heinie. Then you can see the vast improvements in my garden since you last came. Of course, most of which were your suggestions.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 15:54:25 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Heinie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 21:23:41 PM »
Rachel,

I will let you know when the seeds are ready. Remind me to bring you 1 or 2 of my own Daylily seedlings too.

I miss you so much that I decided to buy your first book, Gem squash tokoloshe, last week because I need to stock up a few books again. What will it cost to sign the book for me?  ;) I can then also boast that I had tea with a distinguished author.  ;D

Heinie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:06:23 AM »
Rachel,

These Lilium Longiflorum seedlings are from seeds sown during April this year and look at the size of them already. They grow in full sun all day.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 13:06:26 PM »
Heinie,

I just saw this now, sooo sorry. If I'd known you wanted it, I would have given you a signed copy. After all, my garden owes so much to you, in plants, advice, even design. Also, if I'd know you were missing me, I would have sent a photo and a few darts, free!

LOL

Heinie

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 14:04:52 PM »
I have a few very good photos from the Forum braai a year ago thanks.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 19:23:07 PM »
I shall send you the darts then.