Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Gazania Troubles  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Gazania Troubles
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:53:42 AM »
I've deadheaded my gazanias and new buds have formed, but the petals dry up and shrivel before the buds open. Anyone had this kind of gazania trouble before?

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
Re: Gazania Troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 13:56:29 PM »
No, Rachel.  Grown them once from seedlings with success, but now I was going to do an internet search for tips on germinating.  A friend of mine gave me half a pack that she didn't 'win' with (she's not a gardener).  If you grew yours from seed, please give any pointers that you may have?  (Eg.  Seedbox or openground.)  I never seem to win with a seedbox.  Think I tend to overwater ???
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 23:24:45 PM »
No Mel, I didn't grow from seed. They were on special at the nursery and so many bright colours I couldn't resist. I solved my problem though, lack of sun. Hopefully, as the weather clears and we have more days of straight sunshine instead of all this rain and cloud, it will resolve itself. Otherwise I'll have to dig them up and give them to someone who gets more sun in their garden.

I did read about germinating the seeds though. Gazanias don't like lots of water, and even as seedlings I read you should let the soil dry out completely before watering again. They're from Namaqualand, so I guess a flash flood to get them to germinate, then desert them. Silly pun intended btw, sorry for that, couldn't resist.
 :)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 23:24:45 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »
I liked it! Picked it up straight away... I'm always one who's game for a good pun ;)
Thanks.  Will water very sparingly, else I will probably have damping off...
That's interesting that lack of sun can do that... is it not about too much water?  I mean are you sure it's the sun levels?
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:45:37 AM »
Hi Mel,
I picked up on this thread about Gazanias. I had good success with growing Gazanias from seed in seed trays. I found that Gazanias almost like to be "ignored" - they are very hardy, as Rachel said, and need quite a bit of sun to perform well. I watered the seedling trays about once a week, and they were fine. Mine are flowering now - in June!! 
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way" - African saying