Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Germinating Camelia Japonica  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Adri

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Germinating Camelia Japonica
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »
Hi guys, I get so excited reading your posts, I want to drop everything and start gardening! but it is not always possible!
First of all, thank you very much for the advice with my Impala Lily (Heinie, Abby and Susan).  I lost a few of the seedlings due to the severe heat before our good rainfall.  The remaining ones are still growing good and is about 5cm high and some are producing their 10th leaf already!
This year my Camelia has flowered the best in 10 years, and also produced lovely seeds, looking like small apples, and getting bigger by the day. I would like to know when I could take them of for planting, or do I wait until they fall off? What kind of soil will be suitable? How deep must I plant them? Etc.
Thanks
Adri

Offline Stef de Swardt

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating Camelia Japonica
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »
Welkom terug Adri.
I do not know much about these seeds, but I am sure you will get the right advice soon.
I would use the same basis as for clivia, but cover seeds, when cleaned, under 2mm of the mixture.
I think seeds are ready for planting, as soon as it is dry.
(We are driving back to Bloem, tomorrow at 04h00)
Good luck.

Offline Adri

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 17:08:29 PM »
Hallo Stef,
Welkom tuis en dankie - gedink die sade gaan miskien baie spesiale aandag nodig h?!
I can't wait for our April vacation! A visit to the Botanical Gardens in Nelspruit is definitly high on my list of things to do! With our last visit I bought very nice 'boomfarings' for only R15 each and clivias for R20! Maybe Francois will be able to tow his trailer behind the camper to make space for all the plants we are going to buy!  - ha ha!
Enjoy your gardening in the new year.
Regards
Adri

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 17:08:29 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 22:45:00 PM »

Adri

Never tried growing camelias from seed but I find that I have quite a number germinating in the leaf litter under the camelia bushes. The one I transplanted unlike its parent has very small blooms compared to the parent. But it is still quite a nice shrub. I think cuttings may be the way to go if you want some more the same  :)
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Adri

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 17:56:18 PM »
Thanks Abby, I will try cuttings also.  I'm just curious to produce plants from seeds.  You know that happy, jumping up and down feeling when that first small green leaf appear! and then the daily visits to see if they are still alive!
Regards
Adri

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 23:34:54 PM »

Adri

I think you may find this link useful

http://camellia-ics.org/_ics/descript/seed.htm

You never know what surprise you will get from the seed, I hope I did not put a damper on it with my experience.

Don't forget to show us your progress  :)

Offline Adri

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »
Abby, just want to let you know.  I could only harvest 3 seeds from the Camelia. I think the rest of the apple like seed 'balls' broke open and the smaller seeds got scattered.  Its very very hard seeds, almost like a nut. Afraid to force them open  I have tried to germinate, but nothing happened. I then put them away for the winter and yesterday decide that now is the time!  It is as if the shell was a bit thinner and dryer and I broke them open.  Two had seeds inside and the third one was empty. I am now going to try to germinate them.  I will keep you posted. Regards

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 20:50:59 PM »
Good luck with your seeds Adri   :)
BTW the Camelia with the stunted bloom once planted out developed into most beautiful striking red double. So do not take any notice of the maiden bloom.

Offline Adri

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 14:29:41 PM »
Thanks Abby.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 14:29:41 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016