Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Need Climber  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Dewaldf

• View Profile
Need Climber
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:57:22 AM »
Hi guys.

I have one of those concrete slab walls , and want to cover the wall with some sort of climber. The climber must be flat...not looking for something like Bougenvillea, it is to bulky. What types of climbers can i use.

The wall has sun the most of the day.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need Climber
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 12:40:50 PM »
Hi there,

Perhaps some ivy? The ivy in the grounds in our office park get a lot of sun and seem to do well, or else maybe some honeysuckle?  Although honeysuckle might grow to be too bulky as well...

Something else that springs to mind is Morning Glory...
Janine

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 13:12:30 PM »

Before you choose your variety of climber it is important to take into consideration your climate, the growing soil condition and the type of support you propose for the climber. You may also want to consider whether you want a flowering variety or one that is grown mainly for the foliage. The size of your area will govern the size of the climber you should plant.

If you are planning to to attach it directly to your wall Creeping Fig Ficus pumila is a good one for effectively covering up walls. It's a self clinger, using aerial roots, which can be a bit of a problem when it pulls away because it does leave its mark on the paintwork. The other thing with Creeping Fig is that it's got juvenile and adult foliage. The nice small leaves are the juvenile leaves, so keep it well sheared back to maintain that look. Its adult foliage is quite ugly and can be a problem. So use the trimmers and stay onto it all the time
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 13:12:30 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 14:45:03 PM »
If you're looking for something flat yet beautiful, you might consider planting a row of some type of bamboo in front of the wall. It grows quickly and there are so many different kinds, it's can fit into a modern, contemporary look or zen or jungle.

It all depends on what you're going for tho, there are so many options from creeping roses to black eyed suzy to granadilla. I suggest a stroll around a good garden centre or nursery with one of their horticulturalists to see what's available and what suits your conditions and needs.

Morning glory is considered invasive in South Africa.

Offline susan

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 15:05:44 PM »
My favourite one is Canary creeper -it bloom twice a year and look gorgeous!

Offline Dewaldf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 16:23:06 PM »
Thanks guys.
I do not know the plants all that well. But I googled the images for the suggested plants.

The top 2 that will work for me is the
Creeping fig, or then the bamboo. :woohoo:

Will let you guys know.

I recently added a water feature to the gardem, and I think the bamboo will give nice effect to the lapa, with the water feature close by....I'll be feeling irie soon in the garden.

Offline Doug

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 19:52:41 PM »
Jasmin. A brilliant flat long flowering creeper. Easy to control. Needs some wires for support though. Not invasive. Black Eyed Susan, very invasive though you will battle to beat its year long colour and is a very fast grower. My bamboo is very invasive and is keener on growing sideways (sending out runners) than growing up. Bamboo is related to grass if I have it right. Granadilla has a limited life span. Ivy also tends to invade. It also depends how much you want to have escaping on the other side of the wall. My Canary Creeper at my previous residence was stunning but very bulky and dense and then I got Thrips in it and it deterioated very rapidly and I had to remove it despite all the sprays I tried.
So Ja as Abby says  :clap: (pro clap) the choice is yours

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Morning glory is considered invasive in South Africa.

Thanks for the warning Rachel...
Janine

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 15:01:41 PM »
yeah, sadly Janine, I think morning glory is gorgeous. And so many colours. Sigh

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 15:01:41 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 17:51:46 PM »
Dewalf why don't you post a pic so we can give you advice in context.Like to see the width of your bed there.
Thunbergia looks lovely but have to be controlled all the time.Also do not like a position of intense wind.
Scottish Cement/ficus pumila is a bit drab though tough.
I have to say Ivy might be your best bet as a flat coverer.Ivy colibri is one i like to use in such cases because of its small and variegated leaves.
Pandorea is slow.Port St john's creeper may be too bulky.Boston Ivy for autumn colour?
An espaliered rose maybe?Tracheleospermum jasminoides?

Australian Abby please give me some advice as to how tough creepers like Kennedia is?

Offline Piet Strydom

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • be-amazed
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 20:08:26 PM »
Also have a look at the Snail Vine  (Phaseolus caracalla) a very beautiful creeper ,grow in full sun

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 20:08:26 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 22:58:47 PM »

Etienne
The Coral Creeper (Kennedia coccinea) is a prostrate creeper with glossy leavesproduces bright pink pea-like flowers on horizontal stems.

Easy to grow and trouble-free, they are well-suited to planting in front of taller growing feature plants such as Kangaroo Paws or in large pots. The seed germination is triggered by chemicals produced by the burning wood.It can be grown outside in regions with no risk of frost. Otherwise, it has to be grown in temperate greenhouses.

It grows naturally in jarrah and karri forests in the sw botanical province of Western Australia.

Australian native plants are great in Australia but some have become catastrophic environmental weeds in other countries. Some Australian native plants are in fact environmental weeds within Australia after having been planted outside their natural range.

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 13:24:14 PM »
Thanks Abby,i'm busy with researching Aussie creepers.Any native climbers that you can recommend?Will have to be able to take a -1 degrees Celcius from time to time.Preferably with a nice flower.In fact which region in Austr will mimic my conditions;Summers up to 38,Winters down to -2 ?

You don't have to tell me anything about Aussie invasives but i hear we are at least getting our own back with some of our own plants invading your country.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 21:08:23 PM »
Etienne

You may find this map of assistance from http://www.anbg.gov.au/hort.research/zones.html

It would appear you are after our zone 4 or the US zone 10

This site may also be of assistence http://www.anbg.gov.au/climbers/index.html

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 21:13:42 PM by abby »

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 21:50:12 PM »
Thanks for the info Abby.
Billardiera and Hardenbergia caught my eye, could you tell me more?