Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Looking for seeds or vines of chou chou/chayote  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Janet (aka Misty)

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Looking for seeds or vines of chou chou/chayote
« on: March 23, 2009, 21:34:45 PM »
Hi, I am looking for seeds or vines of the chou chou/ chayote/ sju sju plant - an edible vegetable similat in some ways to a squash.
I am also interested in genuine stinging nettle and english dandelion seeds or plants. I am in the Western Cape, prepared to pay postage or arrange collection wherever possible.
Any other rare herbs also welcome. ;)
Janet
aka The Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for seeds or vines of chou chou/chayote
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:09:09 AM »
Are chou chous the same as potimarrons? These guys might still have: (still waiting for mine)

http://www.link-up-in-eden.co.za/ebooks/december/index.html

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 14:25:30 PM »
Not the same, no, but now I have another vine to plant when I get the seeds for potimarrons too!
Janet

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 14:25:30 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 14:49:29 PM »
Hi Mistysa

Genuine stinging nettles - I've been destroying them by the hundreds - so much so that I've practically eradicated them - much to my husband's disgust as he brews a nettle tea (lots of health benefits) for his racing pigeons and now you really have to search for a plant or two.  But they drove me crazy popping up everywhere like grass. Will have to plant some in a big pot far away from anything else so that I can control them. I can try to see if I can find one with seed for you.

We took out our chou-chou vines as they strangled a plum and an orange tree - they bore so many fruit that we gave away a big crate a week in season.  (They make very jummy "pam-sjoe koekies" - mixture of pumpkin and chou-chou).  I will check if I can save some of the rootstock that still makes shoots if you like - whereabout in w/cape are you?
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 12:33:35 PM »
Hi Rena
I am at the foot of Sir Lowry's Pass - an area known as Firlands. I have horses and use herbs for them. 2 years ago I raised some eyebrows by searching for kahkibos plants as an insect repellent for them and fleas on my dogs - I found some on a wine farm and was happily told to help myself, now I have a small but productive crop of them.

I would love it if you have something for me, not far for me to pop over and collect - in fact a wonderful excuse to visit Fairview for some cheese as well!! :good:

Please let me know.
Janet
Janet

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 13:03:03 PM »
khakibos : Tagetes minuata
I've always been under the impression that khakibos was introduced to South Africa as a weed that was unintentionally mixed with the British troops' imported horse feed in the Anglo-Boer war, hence the name khakibos (the English were called khakis, and the plants came up wherever they had been). Maybe they actually used the khakibos for deworming and deflying the horses back then too, and that it wasn't accidentally included in the feed. It's certainly widely used today. Apparently it's quite tasty too, cooked as spinach.

Welcome Janet. I recall your area as being frightfully posh! I'll try my best to behave!

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 13:42:36 PM »
Hi Janet

I managed to get a few rooted shoots off the chou rootstock and have planted them up - will let you know if they grow. Are you aware of all the good things about all the parts of the chous? - I have an article if you're interested as they seem to have amazing health properties - my tortoises also love them.  The pigeons love the fresh shoots as they start growing and devour the fresh leaves within minutes.

My husband uses a lot of herbs for his pigeons - they get garlic on a daily basis and get "treated" to a tea brewed from "wilde-als" and other herbs from the garden at the weekends - also feeds them a lot of herbal products sold for horses (well, racing pigeons and horses do both compete in races!)

Must still look for some nettle plants for you. Will let you know of the progress.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 16:30:18 PM »
Someone read my mind!!  I have also been looking for chou-chou squash seed!!  I had a vine many years ago, don't know what happened to it.  They are absolutely yummy with an Irish stew, placed on top of the stew and steamed as the final touch!!  ::)
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way" - African saying

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 20:31:31 PM »
khakibos : Tagetes minuata
I've always been under the impression that khakibos was introduced to South Africa as a weed that was unintentionally mixed with the British troops' imported horse feed in the Anglo-Boer war, hence the name khakibos (the English were called khakis, and the plants came up wherever they had been). Maybe they actually used the khakibos for deworming and deflying the horses back then too, and that it wasn't accidentally included in the feed. It's certainly widely used today. Apparently it's quite tasty too, cooked as spinach.

Welcome Janet. I recall your area as being frightfully posh! I'll try my best to behave!

You are quite right, it is not indigenous, although one tends to forget that as it seems perfect for us - I actually believe it helps in African Horse Sickness areas to keep the midges (which spread the dreaded disease) at bay. It's height is perfect when horses walk through it for them to get the oils on them and it works wonders as an insect repellent. I never thought of trying to eat it....the smell is too strong....will have to try some and let you know.

Oh no we are not at all posh - we have some real 'maplotters' here as well as some rich, not so rich, some famous (the Jesse Jordan Band) and less famous!!! LOL! A real eclectic mix, and me, a frustrated would-be farmer-in-disguise! I do have a huge garden, several horse paddocks to reseed and this is the rock nursery of the western cape - they grow here overnight - in fact I have to send my young foal away as the ground is too hard for her and is causing problems with her hooves so she is going to a sandy farm - oh I would give anything for some sand, or even just normal soil!

Rena I look forward to hearing from you - so excited. I will certainly be trying Kareen's idea.
Janet

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 20:31:31 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Robin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 13:33:10 PM »
I have a Chou Chou vine growing that has just started to fruit. I will be happy to send you one but I live in JHB so we'll have to post it or something. Let me know in an email cos I don't check this site very often. - leyde@cybersmart.co.za

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 16:11:37 PM »
Hi Robin
Not sure if your post was directed at me?  If so, have sent you e-mail - thanks so much  ;)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 16:11:37 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 18:18:06 PM »
Hi Kareen

What is the name of the rose in the photo on your profile?
Why have I only noticed it now? (That was a question to myself!)

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 07:58:17 AM »
Hi Rena
I only just placed the pic on my profile yesterday, so you didn't miss a thing!! Very sharp of you to notice!!  This is the Black Baccara and it is on my wish list for one day, or something close to it..... I only want two roses planted in pots on either side of my front steps - The Black Baccara is one, and Blue Moon is the other one. 

Offline madeleinevdm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 00:53:56 AM »
Hi Rena

I stumbled across this forum in my search for seeds/plant of the chou-chou/sou-sou vegetable.  The only reference/thread I got was your response in helping someone in the Firlands area in Somerset West.  Ironically, I also live in Somerset West and have been looking for seeds and/or a plant for a very dear friend for a long time.  Is there any chance you could guide me in the right direction to obtain some?

Thanks so much
Madeleine

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
Hi Madeleine

I unfortunately don't have one single chou or chou plant at the moment - but a friend who has a vine growing from a chou I gave to her long ago  has promised to give me some when she harvests them soon and then I can pass some on to you if you haven't found any by then.

Regards
Rena