Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Black baccara  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Black baccara
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
Hi Kareen - now I will think of you as the "black baccara girl".

Lovely choice - but I haven't seen it in real life yet - it WAS on my wish list too, but now I am trying to stop trying to grow roses and replace them with other things - and then Abby posts such beautiful photos of her roses and I change my mind again!  I had "blue moon" but it scorched to death last summer - have you seen the improved version (something like "the new blue moon") - saw it in an overseas magazine don't know if it is available here yet, but WAS also on my wish list.

I was trying to choose a photo to put on my profile - that is why I noticed yours!  but to choose just one is impossible.

Regards, Rena
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Black baccara
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:05:33 PM »
Hi Rena
Awww thanks, don't think anyone has thought of me as a rose before, and such a beautiful one too!!  I wish I had more time for roses, but those two will have to fulfill my wish - I MIGHT do four, two on each side of my steps. I haven't seen the "new blue moon" - will definitely keep a look out for it when I'm ready for my two roses.  I saw another two that are close to Black Baccara and Blue Moon, but the names escape me now - will look for the names and post them. 
I have a long term project for eventually putting together a flower bed with predominantly "black" or "near black" plants which I think will look rather stunning. I already have my black iris (not flowering yet), and gorgeous black mondo grass.  I'm trying to get my hands on the proper Black Pansy which is absolutely stunning!!  But, Rome wasn't built in a day.
I'll look around for a pic for your profile, how's that?
Regards
Kareen
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:10:20 PM by Kareen »
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way" - African saying

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
Hi Rena
FYI - nobody grows the Black Baccara as it is apparently a cut rose.  De Leeuw's Roses does a close black called Norita, so seems I will have to settle for that, unless I can find a source for the Black Baccara somewhere else.  I'm heartbroken  :'(

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:32:35 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 12:12:46 PM »
Hi Kareen - that's a pity about black baccara - I've also been tickled by the idea of a "black" flower bed but at the moment am trying not to start any new projects until all the chores in the garden are done (if ever). Let's face it - a brand new project is far more exciting than the chores............

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
Hi Rena... I have so many projects on the go at the moment, just hope none of them end up being "unfinished symphonies"   LOL  The "black" flower bed is on the back burner while I am sourcing the plants I want and thinking about where it's going to be... I'm dying to start with it

Offline susan

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 13:55:21 PM »
Kareen - if you like i will gladly send you some stunning black daylilies.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 14:04:15 PM »
Awww Susan, that would be great, I would really appreciate that very much  :love:

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 14:32:07 PM »
This isn't funny anymore - I'm so tickled by the black plant posts that I check for new posts every time I walk past the computer and am not getting any of my garden chores done ;D

What about the small black trailing violet?

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 14:41:41 PM »
 LOL Rena, isn't the gardening bug fun!! I've never seen a black trailing violet - sounds pretty!!  Just for your info... I took a chance and emailed Ludwig's Roses... Guess what I'm getting next week???  A BLACK BACCARA ROSE!!!  A friend is going through to Bronkhorstspruit to vist his parents and will bring it back for me.... Gosh, I'm soooo excited  :dance:  :dance: :woohoo: I can't tell you how long I have been searching for this rose!!  I'm getting the Blue Fairy as well instead of the Blue Moon - I'll get Blue Moon later

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 14:41:41 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 15:20:30 PM »
Hi Kareen
I thought I have the black violet (ie black leaves, dard lavender flowers) but don't see any of it at the moment - have an idea it isn't evergreen - will watch out for it and at least I know where I can get more.
Wonderful that you can get baccara - I am tempted to get one from the local Ludwig's but PROMISED myself no more roses unless one dies (maybe I must use some Ridder nearby.......) :mean:
Blue Fairy is also on my list - I mean was....

Offline Janet (aka Misty)

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 15:32:33 PM »
mmmmmm...just remembered hubby saying he would love some roses - I have been trying to stay away from roses, much as I love them I do not have the time for them. Wonder if he will fall for a black rose...... :mmm:
Janet
aka The Wicked Witch of the West

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 15:32:33 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 15:58:24 PM »
Nobody around to negotiate about what goes in the garden  LOL  My ex-boyfriend wrecked my garden with a chain saw and had no back-up plan... Good riddance  :good:  I've been building the garden from virtually scratch since, and it's been a long hard road!!

Offline Doug

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 20:06:07 PM »
Black, black, black. Don't forget the black furniture and gnomes. I personally think black is a great colour but needs others to set it off. I mean picture a corner which is permanently black. ??? How long will you last before putting some colour there. ???   :mmm:

Offline Janet (aka Misty)

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 21:01:52 PM »
oohh black with silver foliage - classy!!!
black with lime green foliage - striking!!!!!

I think we may do a detour on Monday to wet hubby's appetite - go past LUdwigs roses on the way to Franschhoek -mmmmmonly about 15km's in the wrong direction, will he notice....!....???? LOL
Janet
aka The Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 10:05:49 AM »
Think there will be so many interesting plants and shades of black - blue black, red black, purple black... black with yellow centres, the diverse folliage will also break it.... This is going to be a long term project since a lot of my seed needs to come from the USA, and with the present rand/dollar exchange... it will have to be a slow project or will make me bankrupt overnight  LOL