Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Foxglove seedlings in Eggboxes (in 'Black Gold')  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
Foxglove seedlings in Eggboxes (in 'Black Gold')
« on: April 05, 2009, 16:37:03 PM »
Hi All,
Thank Abby for the prompting to detail my eggbox project with pics - herewith.
I started with 2 eggboxes - our RSA kind that is made of 'paper-mache' type recycled paper.
I stabbed the bottom of each to make a bit of a slit/hole.  Drainage, and later for roots to get through/to aid decomposition once it's in the garden bed.

Here is base of the box:

Here's a pic that show the one clump of seedlings needing thinning.  There's another similar clump off to the right out the pic. (Rachel, if you read this, I sympathise with your daylilies seeds being peppered on your food ;) Shortly after you had posted that, my five-year-old son got it in his mind to climb into this big pot (about 50cm in diameter) and stomp it.  I guess to him it looked 'empty' and did not recognise barely visible leaves as treasures ;) )  Almost all of the batch that I'd posted a pic of in 'Foxglove Seedlings?' were destroyed.
So, I tell you all that to say that the one slightly larger plant is one of the very few that survived the stampede!

Now here's my first 12 extracted from the clump pictured above, in their new little homes.  I planted them in 'Black Gold' - pure homemade compost.  I am very proud of my compost-keeping practices, coz it is a discipline, and I have the whole family at it, even down to the 5 yr old mentions (banana peels, apple cores, etc. they know the drill!)  Please confess if you do not make compost and let us encourage you to do so!  Once in the swing it is quite easy!!!

Will keep you posted about the progress of the little plants.  The egg boxes are  not too deep, and the roots were quite long, so I don't think they can be contained there for too long....
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Doug

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Foxglove seedlings in Eggboxes (in 'Black Gold')
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 20:31:59 PM »
Mel, I think that is great.  :clap:
I also think that those mache type boxes should break up pretty quickly. I would imagine that the constant moisture of the compost should get the job half done before you even plant out.
I also think that the seedlings should grow quite a bit before planting as a lot of roots can fit into that tiny space especially if you feed them.
Keep us posted.  :good:

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 21:51:07 PM »
Thanks Doug, yes, I meant to mention that: as I watered them after I took the photo I thought how that the little boxes will probably stay so wet and soggy that it wont be long... will have to get them into permanent places else the exercise will defeat the main objective of avoiding transplant shock on a bigger seedling!
Best Regards,

Mel.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 21:51:07 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 00:33:46 AM »
Will keep you posted about the progress of the little plants.  The egg boxes are  not too deep, and the roots were quite long, so I don't think they can be contained there for too long....

Just thought I'd keep you on your toes Mel and check if there is any progress  ???

Hope to see many pix from your trip too  :)
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:24:30 AM »
Hi Abby, and all,
Yes, am aware to get back to you all on this project...

What I'd planned to report back is that I wouldn't do it again in a hurry.  I stopped after those first 12.  I'll tell you why - the substrate is just to little for my liking in terms of keeping it watered.  I suppose it would work better if I had put them where rain could reach them (and not sun), but then I would rely on the rain and tend them even less and that could have been worse!  I've lost a few of the 12, and the remaining ones - about 8, look ok, but they haven't thrived.
Conclusion:  Only diligent waterers should try this!
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »

Mel

Sorry about your loss  :'(

What about if you put the egg container with seedlings inside a plastic bag/container so you would not be loosing water through evaporation?  ???

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 14:43:01 PM »
Yeah, Abby - where were you a month ago;)  Of course, that would help.  Will go and do that with the little guys that are left - that are there until I finally get to transplant them.
Best Regards,

Mel.

Offline Katja

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 18:05:34 PM »
Hi Abby, hi Mel

I've tried the same with some hollyhocks and laceflower. Mine was no sucess either. I've lost some and the surving ones were a bit stunted.
Although I watered them, they didn't really like growing in the egg boxes. I checked on the hollyhocks today and only now they seem to
settle.  ???

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »
Yeah, Abby - where were you a month ago;)  Of course, that would help. 

All you need is ask Mel  ;)  :mmm:
But have you considered what your egg carton is made of  ???
Is it just paper and water or some additive like glue added making it possibly toxic for little plants  ???

I've had a look at Google and all the 'Greenies' rave over it but in all the pix I've seen I had not come across a healthy batch of seedlings in an egg carton. Wonder if that is a message.
The closest to healthy seedlings that I found were ones growing in Egg shells and then supported in a carton.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 09:24:38 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »
I found that egg cartons work really well for keeping eggs in :mmm:

I think the problem with them is that they're too shallow. Mel intuited(?) this when she put the holes for the roots to grow through.

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
mmm.  You are right, Michael, live and learn.  I did think though that while they were small the substrate would be sufficient (all things being relative and all that...)
Best Regards,

Mel.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.