Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Kikuyu in winter  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Glenn

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Kikuyu in winter
« on: May 14, 2009, 07:27:46 AM »
Just wondering. What you do with kikuyu grass in winter.

Some say you should let it die off and cut it short, others say you can carry on watering and cutting and it will stay green and healthy.

I am trying different methods on different pieces. On the one patch I through a slow release organic fertilizer and watered in.

What do you do and what do you suggest for the best results in spring.
Glenn

Offline Janet (aka Misty)

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Kikuyu in winter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »
Dig it out and replace it with indigenous grass!  :good:

Sorry Glen, I couldn't resust that... I hate kikuyu.
Janet
aka The Wicked Witch of the West

Offline Glenn

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
Dig it out and replace it with indigenous grass!  :good:

Sorry Glen, I couldn't resust that... I hate kikuyu.

LOL

Sounds like a excellent idea but I dont think I could justify to my wife the cost and the mess :)

What indigenous grass do you suggest and would you water it right through the winter?
Glenn

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:44 PM »

I keep kikuyu grass in my c h ic k e n run which is my back yard - I like it because it grows quickly providing the c h i c k e n s with continuous green.

I never fertilise it I guess the c h i c k e n s take care of that - I hose the fertilizer they drop off daily so that Sweet Thing does not walk in it.

I mow it weekly in the summer and fortnightly in the winter - otherwise it looks after itself - the edges are the most labour intensive part.

:woohoo:
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline richardj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 17:20:33 PM »
Hi Glen

It all depends on whether the grass will get frosted or not where you are. If it does, you are going to struggle to keep it green.

If not, keep watering and fertilizing if you can afford it. Obviously reduce your watering compared to summer to maybe once a week but you will have to monitor it. Allow the soil to dry out some before watering again. It is not good for the soil to stay wet especially during winter. Your grass will suffer and die off. Kikuyu does not like "wet feet".

Use an organic fertilizer like 9:2:9 if you can find it. Otherwise stay with 5:1:5 or 8:1:8 of the granular type. Fertilize every three months according to spec.

Keep your mow height high currently. If you currently have a thick mat of grass (5 cm +), then only start reducing the height slowly during Aug to scarify. If you don't have a thick mat of lawn, don't cut short at all. You only cut short to reduce a thick layer of organic matter between the soil and grass. You need to apply scarification at such a time that your grass growth rate will be fast enough to recover faster than weed growth. So it will depend on your area's climate. It may therefore even be later than Aug but before Oct I suggest.

During summer, keep your mow height at a minimum of 4 to 5 cm; in the shaded areas increase it to 6 cm. A thick mat of lawn will reduce weed infestation. That is why you very seldom cut your Kikuyu or Cynodon lawn short. They are renowned for weed infestation due to their upright growth habit.

The only decent indigenous turf grass I am aware of is LM grass. But it needs more water than Kikuyu, I not as hardy, is more suitable for shade so will suffer in VERY hot sun, and has a slower growth rate than Kikuyu (recovery rate slower too). It is a stunning lawn to have and suppress weed growth more than Kikuyu due to its flatter creeping habit.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Richard (Check my new page on FACEBOOK under GAUTENG GARDENING)

Offline Glenn

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 19:51:20 PM »
 :good: Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum
Glenn