Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Saguaro  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Ernst

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Saguaro
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 20:55:36 PM »
Thanks for the nice photo Ron, it shows the flowers well.

Susan, I met Koekies in Bothaville with the Nampo feast about three weeks ago. What a nice person. It was 7 o'clock in the morning, in the middle of the Free state, in the middle of winter, about 4 deg Celcius, Koekies was unloading his plants in shorts and a T shirt! He is from Namibia but stay in Kwazulu Natal now.
I also bought a few special plants from him, amongst others a Pachypodium saundersii or Kudu lily.

I also popped in at Obesa in Graaf Reinet last week and met Philip on the farm. He showed me his collection of E. obesa (unfortunately not for sale). The Sauaro in town were fairly big. The Quiver trees were in bloom. I was disapointed by the service or lack thereof. I did not see a soul in an hour and a half, could have walked away with loads of plants. Needless to say I walked out there empty handed, but bought a lot of plants at the out of town one.

Regards,

Ernst &  Kobie

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 21:06:14 PM »
The out of town nursery belongs to the town nursery owner's son. It's a pity you didn't get to meet the old man. I liked him, he's actually a lawyer, so he might have been at work! He was very generous to me, with kindness, information and seeds.
You can see the labyrinth on the farm on google earth.
Did you go to the valley of desolation Ernst?
It seems as if the succulent growers are a good bunch of people......

Offline Ernst

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 21:16:52 PM »
Michael, no, I was pressed for time. I did visit Nieu Bethesda Owl House and the Fossil museum.
Regards,

Ernst &  Kobie

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 21:16:52 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Soekershof

• Pro Gardener
  • Double Dutch; strongly rooted in African soil
    • View Profile
    • Soekershof; Private Mazes & Botanical Gardens in South Africa
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 08:18:54 AM »
Ernst,

("by the service or lack thereof. I did not see a soul in an hour and a half, could have walked away with loads of plants. Needless to say I walked out there empty handed, but bought a lot of plants at the out of town one.")

At the entrance of the town nursery you can clearly see a cell phone number and I'm sure that Anton responds very quickly. You can also pop into the ofice of Obesa lodges (opposite) that belongs to the same family. I'm sure the lady (Sonja) will help you.

Interesting detail is that the founder of the nursery started to buy his first plants at Soekershof in the fifties/sixties. Since a number of years we have strengthen our bond with the Bouwer family and we don't mind sending people to their nursery and the other way around. We know of each other more or less the ins and outs (stock, species, etc.). Same relations with more nurseries such as Fynkwa in Oudshoorn (no website but also worthwhile to browse around).

Offline davewyllie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 19:24:50 PM »
Does anyone know how to contact Koekies? where does he stay in Kwa-Zulu Natal?
Holiday Cactus Nursery
082 9268888

Offline Ernst

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 13:49:15 PM »

PJ Koekemoer
Email: cactus4africa@webmail.co.za
Fax: 034 981 3150
Cell: 083 228 5580
Vryheid
Regards,

Ernst &  Kobie