Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Question about Dahlias  (Read 2816 times)

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Dahlias
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 01:03:04 AM »
With these annual dahlias,they do grow tubers but they are tiny and unlike the larger more decorative ones have massive tubers therefore large food reserves for the plants and then can be stored untill you plant them again, the annual are simply to small to save over here so we bin them in the winter,and thats why they get labelled annual even though they are perrenial.

In our climate we leave the miniatures  in the ground and they just go dormant and reshoot again and keep growing.
You can leave them do their own thing for many years until they need subdividing.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline daveyp

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 12:04:47 PM »
i wish we could abby there's nothing i hate more than having to throw plants in a compost heap.I just don't have room for them the greenhouse,it is for my 'best' plants and thats limited space,so i have to be choosy what i overwinter.
All i was saying Abby was why Unwins would put annual on there packet when they are group of tuberous rooted perennials  i wasn't saying you were wrong.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 13:38:15 PM »
Surely not Oscar?

No Michael, he's become the "retired teacher" now - the old boy is 12 already, and teaches Tazz all the tricks of the trade  ::)

Davey, I think Abby and I are more fortunate with our climate Davy - Australia and South Africa's climate is pretty similar in some places, we could probably leave the dahlias in the soil to do their resting.  Perhaps Unwins just put annual on their packet to play it safe for climates where the tubers don't really come to much. 

"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way" - African saying

Gardener Forum

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 13:38:15 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 15:00:58 PM »
i wish we could abby there's nothing i hate more than having to throw plants in a compost heap.I just don't have room for them the greenhouse,it is for my 'best' plants and thats limited space,so i have to be choosy what i overwinter.
All i was saying Abby was why Unwins would put annual on there packet when they are group of tuberous rooted perennials  i wasn't saying you were wrong.

David
We all share our experiences on this Forum, that is how we learn from each other.so there is no right or wrong.
Thankfully different people have different opinions or what a boring world it would be.

I see seeds in different light to plants.
The Dahlia seed is an annual seed so it flowers in one season when it develops a tuber, it then becomes a perennial plant.

Some seeds take longer to bloom and develop a bulb hence the seed would be classified as perennial seed
Never regret anything that made you smile.