Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Tips on growing epi's?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Tips on growing epi's?
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

My mom has four epi's that she's had ever since I can remember.  Only two of them have flowered recently, one I posted pics of before, the light pink one, and the other one I have pics of somewhere, a darker pink, almost cerise kind of colour.

The plants haven't really been given much attention or care over the years and I don't think they have ever been repotted.  They each only have about 3 or 4 'leaves'.  One recently got a new leaf which was quite exciting.  I will take some pics later this afternoon and post them tomorrow.

I'd like to know if I should repot them or not, and what growing medium should I be using.  Also, what conditions do they like?

Dave, perhaps you could give me some guidance here?  I did a bit of googling but didn't turn up anything useful but then again, I never seem to have much success with googling things...

Thanks in advance  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:28:52 AM by Janine »
Janine

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
Re: Tips on growing eips?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 15:45:47 PM »
Are you referring to epiphyllums?
If so Denise should actually answer you.Is she still around on this forum?
I grow mine in hanging baskets under the 80 % shade cloth hanging over my clivias. They seem to love it. The snails isn't a problem either unless they parachute in.

Offline davewyllie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 19:54:05 PM »
Hi Janine,
Yes I would repot them using new growing medium. I grow all my Epies in composted Pine bark to which I add Acid Peat. These plants should be grown in a well draining medium, they like damp feet and NOT wet feet. Grow in shady area, but with plenty of light, Epies grown under 80% shade cloth do well. I do not think I should mention which composted pine bark I use on this forum so I will tell you when I see you. There are some socalled growing mediums being sold on the market that have given us a lot of trouble as they tend to get over saturated and pack hard as they dry out. I will post some photos of our growing Epies, you will see that all our Epies are off the ground. All are grown in tunnels covered with 80% shade cloth,and in Winter we put plastic over the shade cloth to keep the frost out.
Holiday Cactus Nursery
082 9268888

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 19:54:05 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
Thanks Etienne and Dave.

They are currently off the ground on a stand on the verandah and get a very little bit of sun in the very early morning.  I will definitely repot them then Dave, once we've had a chat.   :)

Janine

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on growing epi's?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Oh, and apologies for the typo - I did mean epi's (epiphyllums)
 ;D
Janine

Offline Doug

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 19:49:59 PM »
Here I thought you were talking about Epiglottus.  LOL  Sans common name means same to me.

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 15:25:50 PM »
 LOL

Sorry for the confusion, Doug!
Janine

Offline Johan & Paula

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 14:57:24 PM »
Hi Janine

I only saw your post as I placed mine.

I plant my epi's in compost mixed with 30% riversand. I have had mine under the shade and even in the full sun.
They still flower in full sun , but get sun damaged afer about 3 years. I put mine under the roof against the wall of my house where they get lots of light, but no sun.

Hope this helps
Johan
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 15:05:21 PM by Johan & Paula »
Johan Steyn : Clivia, amarilla,bamboo, Aloe, Arum, Acacia. Plumer,handy man,Metal furniture.
+27 72203-2391
Paula van Rensburg: Software devlopment, support & training, bookkeeping 082 303-7092