Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Pick one perfect rose  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Pick one perfect rose
« on: January 24, 2010, 13:48:25 PM »
If you could have only one rose bush, which one would you choose?

I've emptied 2 large pots flanking my front door. In one of them I planted an Iceberg this weekend, but I haven't made my mind up which rose to plant in the other. It has to be a medium-height floribunda or hybrid tea.  I've been thinking maybe Bride's Dream or Double Delight (if I can get it).  I like white or cream/pearl colour roses. I have miniature roses (Minnie Pearl and Rainbow's End) in lower pots surrounding the two tall ones.

Also, I've never grown an Iceberg and in the magazines they look like monstrously huge climbers. Can I keep it to a reasonable size with hard pruning? There is a pillar behind the pot that I can tie the Iceberg to if it insists on climbing, but I don't want it to get too big.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline Chris viljoen

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Pick one perfect rose
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 14:20:37 PM »
Herma
Double Delight is a very good option,another one is Just Joey,smells awesome.
Best regards
Chris

Offline Janine

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:48 AM »
My three favourites, all hybrid tea if I remember correctly are Papa Meiland, a large very dark red, velvety rose with a fantastic smell.  Burning Sky is shades of mauve and pink, it opens a sort of pinky mauve and as the bloom ages the petals change colour to a deep pink, also has a strong fragrance.  The third is Garden Queen, a dark pink rose with massive blooms that are also very fragranced.

I placed a pic of the Burning Sky some time ago on the forum but unfortunately I don't have pics of Papa Meiland or Garden Queen but will try next time I get flowers from them.
Janine

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:32:48 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
I have Double Delight and Bride's Dream in the garden - and although they both give beautiful blooms they are not as free flowering as others for me.  What about Pearl of Bedfordview?

I let my Icebergs grow tall but cut them back heavily last year and they are much more manageable now. 

Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:48 AM »
Hi Herma,
Iceberg is the most successful rose the country has ever and will ever see in terms of popularity and for good reason. It blooms and blooms all season long, is hastle free and tough. It's a good choice, dont look back.

Generaly if you are planting in pot for the front door, I am assuming that you are not looking for cut flowers and should stick to the floribundas and smaller climbers. Have you looked at the pink iceberg? I would stay away away from the hybrid teas as you will end up with a stalky, tall plant for most the year. The problem with pruning hard as a solution is that you do it only once a year and if your hybrid tea is happy, the pruning will just encourage it for the rest of the year. I prune my Papa Meiland's and Mr Lincolns almost to the ground every year and they are well over 6 foot! The only way to keep a tall hybrid tea down during the year is to constantly cut roses with a generous stem, but its far far easier just to get a rose with the correct habit for what you need.

For my taste, it is all about scent and perfect long stems for the vase so I like the hybrid teas. I also like the old classics. In red, Mr Lincoln and Papa Meiland, Just Joey in Yellow and Duftwolke in Salmon.
In the english roses you cannot beat Sharifa for scent and you can consider this one for your pot, being a medium sized plant, if its scent you want.
Lastly, I love huge, out of control climbers: here mermaid and cocktail are my best.

Jon

Offline Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:22:57 PM »
Sorry, I got carried away.

Just one - Papa Meiland. Maybe Sharifa

Jon

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »
Argg, I typed a long reply and then closed the window without posting it!
Thanks for the input, everyone.
I remember many of the names you mention from my mother's rose garden in the 1970s and 80s. They sure are classics! Papa Meilland, Alec's Red, Mr Lincoln, etc. I also love Peace but that's a huge plant. In my own garden I've only grown miniatures, which is why I'm so stupid when it comes to the bigger varieties! Our nurseries also don't have a big variety, just the most popular ones.

Jon, you got me thinking. You're absolutely right, a tall upright hybrid tea wouldn't really do there and I don't need cut flowers, just a good garden display. What I need is a floribunda, not too rampant. Otherwise I'll fall back on my favourite little Minnie Pearl, she grows quite tall for a mini, but I already have 3 of them.
I saw a Herero floribunda in the nursery in spring, that's not my usual colour preference because it's so loud, but one of them could make a strong statement.

I'm confused about Iceberg - is there a climbing version and a bushy version or is it the same plant, just grown differently? The pink Iceberg is indeed cute, I bought one for a friend as a birthday pressie last year.

Here are some pics of my mini roses:
Rainbow's End:

Minnie Pearl:

Offline Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 13:02:44 PM »
There are meant to be climbing and shrub forms of iceberg. Apparently I have both. Truth be told I see no difference. Maybe, just ,maybe the climbing is a little larger, but its still pretty shrubby to my eye.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 13:21:53 PM »
Jon, is it necessary to tie the Iceberg to a pillar or does it stand up on its own?

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 13:21:53 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Jon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 14:49:08 PM »
It shouldn't be necessary. They are not very "floppy" at all. If it does need some help, it will only be temporarily. Mine never needed support. They are growing over a fence, but I never got round to actually attaching them. I have maybe 5 or 6 other varieties of remblers and climbers and the others all needed some help to start. The iceberg shrubs and climber both were very compact (although not neccesarity small) in their habit.

I thought of another to go with the iceberg of yours. Here in the cape (particularly) in the Riebeeck Valley where my place is, the wine farmers often plant Satchimo, a bright red floribuna of similar height and habit to the Ice Berg, with it. Looks great.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 14:58:14 PM »
Ahaaa, thanks! Great idea for Satchmo. Red&white,  :mmm:

I'll post pics when I've done all the planting. Little  Icecube (not a berg yet) already has some buds so I should see my first flowers within days.

Icecube is in the pot where the Brunfelsia is in this pic:

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 14:58:14 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.