Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Project Backyard - progress  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Project Backyard - progress
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »
They promise me I'll have a few beds to play in this weekend. But the third world strikes again - supplier ran out of concrete blocks so it will only be finished next week, sigh. I'm not convinced about the colour, I wanted it the same colour as the wall but the landscapers in their wisdom thought the concrete should "make a statement".... I'm worried the statement might be a bit too loud.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Project Backyard - progress
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
I like the colour of the blocks - they will most probably fade somewhat with time.
Sure have a lot of blocks there - what are you planning to plant inside them  ???
Annuals like pansies may be nice.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
Abby, I'll have zero budget left after the hard landscaping is done so I'll have to fill up with nasturtium seeds and my existing potted succulents and geraniums at first. The holes in the big blocks are big enough for annuals but the little blocks might only take a small succulent without much root system.

The blocks will form raised beds intersected by paths and a "river" for the stormwater. I hope it looks less cluttered once the beds are filled with soil.  It was the only way to maximise planting space and have access to all the beds. Bigger beds would have looked better but I couldn't reach everywhere then.
Daylilies will go in the middle beds, clivias under the tree (not yet visible), tall cannas against the wall on the right, and a few rose bushes in the big bed next to the shade-net screen.  I'm thinking 2 Icebergs and maybe a Peace if I can get one.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 15:56:42 PM »
I hope your neighbor who's stormwater is (illegally) discharging onto your erf is contributing to the project seeing that it wouldn't be necessary if his water wasn't going into your property.
In any case, I think we can all spare some seed for you when the time comes Herma. Lets see a wishlist! (besides velthemia)

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 16:14:13 PM »
Umm.... some Chinese and variegated clivia seeds?   :mmm:   Pushing my luck there!  ;D
Veltheimia would already be a huge favour, thanks!

Michael, our water regulations apparently state that the lower erf has to take the stormwater. All I can do is to pass it on as quickly as possible to the next victim, who then has to deal with it, until it reaches the street. It's when it starts backing up from lower down that my house floods really badly. It doesn't just come from the unit next door, it's all the water from the huge blocks of flats further in the background that comes rushing down the hill into my narrow little backyard! I hope those terraforce walls will be high enough. 

Offline bennie

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 16:28:19 PM »
I`m jealous.Not only does it look fantastic but you have water!! Would you like some hippi seed?

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 17:45:57 PM »
Umm.... some Chinese and variegated clivia seeds?   :mmm:   Pushing my luck there!  ;D
Veltheimia would already be a huge favour, thanks!

If you don't ask you won't get!
If you wait a bit for the velthemia, there will be some daruma seed from me. It's nearly ripe. Maybe even a variegated peach seed or 2 :mmm:
We'll fill up those beds in no time!

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 18:02:00 PM »
 :woohoo:   thanks Michael!    :dance: :dance:

Of course I'll wait! I'd give my left pinky for a Daruma, that's for sure. And both pinkies for a variegated Daruma, I can type without them.     LOL

All I have to swap is Blue Velvet aggy seeds that I've just harvested.

I'm glad you like the design Bennie! I don't know anything about hippies, are they easy to grow? I had no idea you could grow them from seed, I thought you had to buy a bulb. 

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
I planted cannas yesterday evening....  Ugh I need to paint that wall

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 12:19:33 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:33:20 PM »

Taking shape already  :good:
Amazing how a few littl plants make so much difference.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Johan & Paula

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 20:16:24 PM »
It looks stunning Herma.Give it 6 months and you will see the differance. :clap: :clap: :good:
Johan Steyn : Clivia, amarilla,bamboo, Aloe, Arum, Acacia. Plumer,handy man,Metal furniture.
+27 72203-2391
Paula van Rensburg: Software devlopment, support & training, bookkeeping 082 303-7092

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 20:16:24 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Adri

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
Herma, you are quite a busy bee! I can also see a few colourful runner geraniums and petunias hanging from the stones at the feet of the cannas. I think your garden is going to look wonderful!  :party:

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:27 AM »
Thanks all!  The raised beds will hopefully be finished this week, then I can really start playing. I can't wait. At last I've got space in the holes in the cement blocks for all the little geraniums and succulents that I kept growing from cuttings with no hope of planting them. They've been standing around in pots waiting for better days. I've been pottering around with them and my clivia and daylily seedlings all weekend. I also want to plant some smaller herbs (mint, thyme, etc) in the blocks. And of course annuals with small root systems like pansies and lobelias. It's not going to be a designer garden for showing off but rather a plant addict's playground where I can just cram in as many plants as possible.

My cats are in seventh heaven, they think it's wall-to-wall sandpit! They've never seen so much soil in their lives.  And I caught Pepe munching on a daylily seedling, she must think it's a nice-tasting type of pet grass. Seems like Bella has a feline counterpart...