Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: my veggies are growing  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: my veggies are growing
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 13:11:16 PM »
Re: Marog (amaranthus)
In the Eastern Cape the traditional way to eat it is as 'umfino' which is a blend of wild leaves. A good traditional cook will have a secret mix of marog\spinach\dandelion\etc. wild leaves, passed down through generations. The secret is in the combination of leaves.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 13:23:33 PM »
Swiss chard is the only type of "spinach" we can buy in shops here and it's sold as spinach. (Large, dark green leaves).
I've looked for "baby spinach" (small-leaf spinach) in the shops but never found any.
There is a wild weed that's eaten as "traditional spinach' in northern Namibia, not available in shops though.  I remember eating it as a kid. It's full of crystals and it makes your teeth "blunt". Nice taste though.

Yes Abby, my cats are all addicts. When I open the door in the morning, they head for the almost-dead catnip plant first thing to get their fix! I see there are new leaves sprouting from the stalks, that's one tough plant.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 14:14:40 PM »
Herma -

I planted up some 5L buckets with chives, ch ickweed, salt bush etc for the pigeons and put them out of their reach - then give them a bucket at a time - and when they've almost reduced the greenery to zero I hide the bucket again and put out the next one.

Can't you try growing your feline's treats in hanging baskets out of their reach??

Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 14:14:40 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 14:36:10 PM »
cute picture Rena!  ;D

Great minds think alike... I have a spare catnip plant in a hanging basket to replace the current one in the ground when it's nice and big. I used to keep one in a basket and rationed their 'nip intake but it got too big so I planted it out when I got the raised beds. Before that, Pepe was doing her best to get into that basket by balancing on the thin, floppy branch of the mulberry tree that it was hanging from, hilarious.

Speaking of pigeons, is there any plant they wouldn't eat? I'm running out of ideas for pot plants for my mother in the old-age home. Every single plant, even geraniums, on her windowsill is eaten by hungry pigeons (the old people were ordered not to feed the pigeons, go figure). Cactus is probably the only solution. Soft succulents don't stand a chance either.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 16:27:49 PM »
Speaking of pigeons, is there any plant they wouldn't eat? I'm running out of ideas for pot plants for my mother in the old-age home. Every single plant, even geraniums, on her windowsill is eaten by hungry pigeons (the old people were ordered not to feed the pigeons, go figure). Cactus is probably the only solution. Soft succulents don't stand a chance either.

Wish I had an answer to that question too.  I'm so angry - I got licorice seeds from a friend in Canada and planted some about a month ago, they were up within a week, and the darn pigeons/doves came and ate the seedlings.  They also come and scratch in the seedling trays and upset the soil... it makes me so mad  :mean:  I'm going to have to come up with a plan to keep them away from my seedling trays
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way" - African saying

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 16:37:12 PM »
Kareen if their crops are full of cracked maize and other yummy seeds they're not very interested in greens. It looks as if they eat plants as a last resort when they're hungry. You need a cat to maintain the ecological balance!  ;D

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »
Kareen if their crops are full of cracked maize and other yummy seeds they're not very interested in greens. It looks as if they eat plants as a last resort when they're hungry. You need a cat to maintain the ecological balance!  ;D

I miss having a cat, my first and only cat I ever had was a Burmese x Siamese called Yuk Fu (he was named after his attitude - I'll not elaborate).  I have a German Shorthaired Pointer x and Jack Russell and I seriously doubt whether they would allow "us" to have a cat.  The Pointer will definitely not put up with a feline around, however, the Jack might appreciate a cat as a playmate... Both of them hunt and kill birds though..

Offline Michael

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 08:40:57 AM »
Not Oscar!!?? LOL
I love GSPs

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
Not Oscar!!?? LOL
I love GSPs

:o Never Michael!! He just "points" Tazz in the right direction  LOL  GSP's are rather eccentric, I must say

Gardener Forum

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
 LOL  I can just picture the Pointer:  "look Mom, a pigeon!" (pointing).
Jack Russels are formidable bird hunters, I've seen one catch a bird from the air.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 13:48:18 PM »
Jack Russels are formidable bird hunters, I've seen one catch a bird from the air.

They are Herma, then he likes to bring me all the dead things as presents which I really try to discourage, it's very creepy.  It's no fun when he jumps on my lap while I'm busy on my computer and spits up half a lizard on my desk for me.  I came home one afternoon and the two of them had managed to kill a Hadeda.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 13:48:18 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 14:19:10 PM »
I didn't know dogs do that too! My cats bring me little presents, euww. You have to pretend to be very grateful, otherwise you hurt their feelings. I used to have a Persian kitty who looked as if butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, somehow she managed to kill prey with that flat little face. Once I was sick in bed and she brought me several mice. She obviously realised that I was not bringing home the bacon as usual.