Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Germinating Roella Ciliata seeds  (Read 1017 times)

Offline andreals

• View Profile
Germinating Roella Ciliata seeds
« on: April 25, 2010, 14:20:57 PM »
I have some Roella Ciliata seeds, but have no idea of the best way to plant/germinate them. I'm based in the UK and bought the seeds to grow for my daughter (called Roella). As I understand the Roella species is native to South Africa, I thought a South African forum was a good place to go for advice! All recommendations/advice greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.

Andrea Smith

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Germinating Roella Ciliata seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 15:44:21 PM »

Roella ciliata seed germination is improved by smoke and needs light for germination, so do not cover the seeds.

You can achieve this by pre-treatment where seed is soaked for 12 hours in a 9:1 water:smoke-water solution with vermiculate  good drainage seedling mix or vermiculate

I use these products for some of our natives with smoke requirements.

Smoke Water: A product called "Regen 2000 Smokemaster" is available, although it's not the sort of item stocked by your average garden centre and the smallest package is about 10 litres. Further details from the Regen 2000 web site.

Smoked Vermiculite: "Regen 2000 Germinator" is a dry granulated smoke-infused product, specifically designed for use on seed trays. Small quantities, sufficient for small-scale use, can be obtained from Nindethana Seed Service. The Wildflower Seed Company (PO Box 804, Canning Bridge, WA 6153) sell "Seed Starter" granules that may be similar to smoked vermiculite (the granules are mixed with hot water and the seeds soaked for for 2-3 hours).

Hope this helps

Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline andreals

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 22:18:30 PM »
Abby, thanks very much for your detailed answer - that is really helpful. As I am in England I have no idea whether I'll be able to get hold of the products you mention (or something similar), but I'll try to find out!

Andrea

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 22:18:30 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.