Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Princess Persimmon - Diospyros rhombifolia  (Read 3869 times)

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Princess Persimmon - Diospyros rhombifolia
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have been very lucky to see a number of very nice Oriental trees in Korea, that is perfect for bonsai. Luckily I found some seeds of a few species, so hopefully I will have a few growing soon.

The first was small trees I saw for sale in a Gwacheon plant/flower market. The fruit were brown, and some were on the ground, so I asked the owner for a few.

The shape seemed very suited to bonsai, so I got the name (in Korean..! and with a friend's help, translated it. This is what I found.

A small leaved persimmon very popular for bonsai because of their dwarf habit, small flowers and small round orange fruit. Fruits are usually one to two inches. Leaves are one to two inches long and dark green. Leaf stems, wood, and roots are black. Very difficult to obtain in the US. D. rhombifolia is polygamodioecious, that is, they are essentially dioecious (male and female plants), but there are a few complete flowers on some plants. For bonsai purposes, you should consider them to be male and female. Only females will fruit and the presence of a male plant will probably be necessary for pollination.

Isn't this just awesome?

Has anyone seen these for sale in SA?

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Persimmon - Diospyros rhombifolia
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »
Hi Clemens
That sure is different but being a persimmon lover  :P I do prefer the bigger trees with the bigger fruit that I so much enjoy eating - it is just a shame that my tree fruits such a short time.

Cannot say I've ever seen bonsai Persimmon tree before and wonder if they taste the same as the larger fruit.

My fruit is somewhat more squat.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to updates on your trees.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 23:57:56 PM by abby »
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 18:55:32 PM »
Clemens -

Amazing - the fruit look more like the fruit of the tomato tree!  Wonder how they taste??  I hope better than the ones on our persimmon tree which is supposed to be the old-fashioned variety with the very tart-tasting fruit and the fruit has to be almost "pap" (over-ripe) before you can eat it - but we give them all to the tortoises and chooks who don't seem to mind the taste.

Thanks for that info :)
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 18:55:32 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Herma

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 17:29:28 PM »
That is super cute. I have no idea what persimmons are, but they do resemble Rena's tomato fruits.  They look very edible!
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.