Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: African Violet Care  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Lindy

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
African Violet Care
« on: April 14, 2011, 14:10:12 PM »
I hope it's ok that I'm starting a new topic.  I see there are other threads about African Violets, but they're only of pictures when the plant is in flower.

I bought an African Violet a few months back but I don't know how to look after it properly.  I give it water when the soil feels dry but that's it.

How often should it be watered?  How much sun should it receive?  (I brought mine to work so it only gets indirect sunlight but seems quite happy)
How often do they flower?  Do they only flower in spring-summer?
What other advice could you give regarding the care and maintenance of this beauty?

Thanking you in advance :)

-Lindy

Offline Lotsalilys

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: African Violet Care
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 19:55:55 PM »
I water mine once a week. all of my pots sit in a plastic container. I add about 2 inches of water and bottom water them. If the soil takes in all the water I add another inch after a time if there is water left I dump it. There are other ways but that is works best for me.

I use a small amount of African Violet fertilzer every time I water it is about 1/4 the sterngth that you would use monthly.

I think most of mine bloom every 2 months but there are always some blooming. Most of them are downstairs under lights and I rotate them up to the main living area as they bloom, when they are finished they go back down and others come up. I think I have about 40 right now not counting seedlings and new plants started from leaves.

I'm sorry but I don't have any photos, I'll have to get to that soon.
My goodness isn't this fun!!!

Offline Lindy

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
Wow, you must love your African Violets.  What lights do you use?  I have some lights left over from my bust up fish tank which I'm thinking of using for the indoors plants.  I just don't know if they'd be good enough.

Thanks... I'll go buy some of that fertilizer this weekend.
I water mine on a weekly basis too, but I think I'll do it your way and see what happens. 

Thank you very much for your help Lotsalilys.  Please take some photo's when you can, I'd really like to see your babies :)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Lotsalilys

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 20:11:22 PM »
The lights from the fish will work. Actually the majority of them belong to my wife.
My goodness isn't this fun!!!

Offline Lindy

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 14:16:39 PM »
Thanks, that's great.  I'll work on a little something during my leave as my fiance has just bought another African Violet for me. 

I was silly... I never asked what the name of the African Violet food is.  We went to the nursery this weekend in search of it, but when I got there I realised I had no idea what I was looking for.  I have the chemicult 2:3:2 fertiliser at home... would this be ok?