Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Moving Ericas and pincusthions  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Moving Ericas and pincusthions
« on: May 10, 2012, 20:08:13 PM »
I am in the process of expanding my suculent rockery and in this regard need to remove some ericas and pincushions. I am told that these are practically impossible to move as they will die if you disturb the roots, but is this entirely true.

Any advice in this regard is appreciated. Also I preusme that if we do try and remove them it should be done nw in the beginning of winter here in Cape Town?

Ps also moving a lovely variegated hibiscus, but this should be problem freeI presume....

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Moving Ericas and pincusthions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »
 :woohoo: Claus

How did you get on with your moving ? ??? ???
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Doug

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 21:11:45 PM »
They flower in winter so best time is just befor Spring. Prune them hard back and take as much undisturbed root as possible with the soil aroun it. Don't fertilize. You have about a 40% chance of success

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 21:11:45 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Claus

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 18:23:15 PM »
Thanks Doug - sry for the late reply - I am on here so rarely - Mt facebook page is keeping me super busy and it is all related to Succulents and cacti which is my passion. Anyway move went well. Ericas have all survived and are now in their new home - some even flowerin. Also moved a pincushion and I am not sure if that will make it, Hibiscus is fine but will take a while to recover and then I moved a massive Strelitzia....Second time I move this massive clump and luckily the last time as it is now residing in Tokai. Strelitzias are so crazy to dig out as their roots are stso strong, but at the same time very brittle on their own. It took me an hour and a half and have had back problems since. Anyway the garden is being cleared for the extension of my rockery and I am very excited about that.