Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Seeds!  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Seeds!
« on: May 14, 2012, 16:24:16 PM »
Well, I think my excitement completely clouded my judgement and I started ordering seeds on Bid or Buy like a crazy person. Last week all the seeds arrive and we have a whole bag full of different seeds in the fridge ready for germination! From Boabab to Japanese Maple to Ginkgo Biloba to Dragon Blood tree. Many many different species, exotic and indigenous, succulents, trees, shrubs and even flowers.

With that came a lot of literature explaining how to germinate and grow them. Why all the seeds? Well me and my wife Claudette decided to start our own backyard nursery for the fun. Will we ever sell I have no idea but we are having fun. Maybe one day we retire due to this effort ;)

I am in the process of building a grow tunnel on my property and after that I will build a shade net area for the young plants. But first I think we will need some germination containers or something. Exciting! And before today I never know germinating something like a Japanese Maple is such a big job! Always though nice and warm is the key and now I hear nice and cold is the key for these guys! Lots of learning ahead!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
Marco  :)

I am a lot like you - just love growing plants from seeds. However I am not in the business of selling them.

Hence my overcrowded garden. Although I have sold off $1000 of agapanthus from clumps which were overgrowing.

Good luck to you and Claudette on establishment of your backyard nursery.  :good:
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 19:10:04 PM »
Good luck to you and Claudette on establishment of your backyard nursery.  :good:

Yes, good luck to you two - let us know when you need more seed ;D

Abby - $1000 OF AGAPANTHUS - WOW! Was that all in one go or over some time?  I hope you bought lots of seed with the cash ;D
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 19:10:04 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 20:24:40 PM »
Sounds interesting!

Keep us updated, and good luck with the Highveld winter...How do you plan to combat frost?

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 23:51:26 PM »
Rena  :)

I was pleasantly surprised myself -like they grow like a weed.
I sold them on eBay starting @ $5 each plant plus postage or pick up and people went into a bidding frenzy - av. price being $9 mark.

One must remember it was during an extended period of drought hence the market was at its prime for drought tolerant low maitenance plants. A lot of Project Builders were planting Aggies around their Display Homes - so it was good free advertizing for the variety plus the builders having a sponge effect on the market.

The time span was during was during a couple of Spring months and then because of the heat the digging got too hard and I had got rid of my surplus, I stopped selling. And no I would not like to be digging up Aggies for a living  :-\
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:34:30 AM »
Thanks Clemens! And yes, the highveld winter is my biggest problem. I am in the process of building a grow tunnel on my property, hopefully that will give protection where needed for the young plants. When I finish the tunnel I will also build a shadenet enclosure. Maybe in the winter times I can also cover the sides of the shade net enclosue with greenhouse plastic. That should keep the wind out. The black frost is the biggest problem. We get it bad.

But any suggestions are welcome! I learn as I go!

Rena, I will shout when I need more seeds but I think that might take a while!