Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: It has begun! My DIY tunnel.  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: It has begun! My DIY tunnel.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 17:01:28 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

That looks SO good, Marco!  You're doing such a professional job.

Well done :good:

Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 13:32:38 PM »
 :clap: That looks great Marco  :good:

Getting to look like a bought one  :D

Are you sure you are not selling them for a living ?
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
OK, this weekend I endeavoured to put the plastic on my tunnel. Was a challenge with the cold wind blowing and no hands to help!

First I had to get the plastic over the structure. OK, I admit, my gardener helped me to get the plastic over the structure and then we secured it with bricks for the time being.

I used duct tape to join the two pieces of plastic, I think it was a bad idea cause I think it will get hard and loose grip in the sun. But I had no greenhouse tape to join them!

Starting on the one side I fixed the plastic to the frame using brandering. I did not add too many screws to the brandering since I had the feeling I was going to have to loosen it again to give the plastic a final stretch. Once the one side was finished I went round to the other side, stretching the plastic nice a tight and fixing with the brandering. I then went back to the first side and loosened section by section of 3m brandering to re-tighten the plastic where it did not stretch tight enough.

O I forgot to mention, I also added an extra 20mm conduit on the inside for some more structural strength. I used cable ties to tie it to the existing structure.

Once the plastic was fixed at the sides I started fixing it to the front and back brames using a staple gun and many many staples.

The back is closed up with plastic. I left a 1m x 1m gap where I will fit a window that can open (or maybe later a fan for ventelation).

With the front also finished. Two smaller window openings and a large door opening. Next I need to build the door and windows and fix with hinges. Guess that is for next weekend :)

On Sunday I was pretty impressed with the wind the structure could withstand. The conduit gives way some but the greenhouse as a whole does not move at all. Any suggestions regarding irrigation inside? I was thinking micro sprayers hanging from the roof?

Gardener Forum

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:12 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 18:15:22 PM »
That's very impressive, Marco :clap: :clap:

I can't give any advice on the irrigation system - as my builder has stopped any further work on my greenhouse - due the start of the pigeon racing season :'( :'(
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »
 :woohoo: Marco 

Well done :clap:

The irrigation system will be have to be somewhat dependent on what plants you will be growing and your climate - different plants have different irrigation needs.

If you had winds like we had to endure your nursery tunnel is doing well  :good:

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Darn those pigeons he Rena! He he.
Yes Abby, irrigation will depend on the plants. I will break up the greenhouse in zones with different watering needs. Last night I build the door and windows so maybe tonight I can fix them to the structure. It is time to start germinating all those seeds!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
You have me all excited Marco  :woohoo:

Can hardly wait for the first seedlings to pop up their heads  :good: