Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Please ID this tree  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Aletta

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Please ID this tree
« on: May 27, 2012, 21:38:37 PM »
This query initially appeared under What's going on in your garden in May 2012.

In the previous post Jan vL mentioned it might be a Ficus, but damaged leaves or twigs do not secrete a milky substance. It is also not a camphor tree, because I have a camphor tree growing right next to it. You can see some of the branches behind the cycad on the right hand side.

Here is a photo of the leaves of the unidentified tree (left) and the camphor tree (right) viewed from the back and front. Note this differences in colour and form of the leaves.

In spring new fluffy, whitish leaves and very small flowers appear, but no acorns. I will post photos of the flowers and seed next spring.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:12:15 AM by Aletta »

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Please ID this tree
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »
OK, so no-one has got the prize yet..........just shows you you are never to old to learn.....I would have put quite a bit of money on the camphor tree!
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »
No not me Rena, I knew it was not Camphor. We had a huge one at my parents place. But this one I still don't know. I have seen it though before, I distinctly remember the leathery dark green leaves with the furry undersides. Pity we can not teleport leaves so I can feel them and take them to the nearby nursery!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Aletta

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »
In my first post (on What's going on in your garden in May2012) I said that the tree was perhaps a Quercus ilex (holly oak). Today I consulted Wikipedia and found further prove that it might be a holly oak. However mine has never borne any acorns, only catkins ("very small flowers"). Could it be that it requires cross pollination to bear fruit?  ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_ilex  

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:48:54 AM by Aletta »

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 13:34:20 PM »
I looked at http://www.plantdatabase.co.za/quercus_ilex and I don't think it is a Holly Oak :(. Might be of that family? Unfortunately they only show the top of the leaves.

Ok then again, after more searching you might be right :). It is just that the Holly Oak leaves are not that smooth. I give up, I don't know!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 13:49:59 PM by Marco »

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
This is Elaeagnus sp. oleaster

It has the trichome underside But the shape quite does not fit
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »
Thanks Abby - thanks to your hunger for botanical knowledge that inspires me no end,  I have now spent the morning paging through all my ancient tree books looking for Aletta's tree - instead of doing the bookkeeping for the month....................thanks again

:mmm:

Ok - in all fairness, it doesn't take much to distract me from paperwork......
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Aletta

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 14:56:46 PM »
I found the following on Wikipedia:

"The leaves are dark green above and pale whitish-grey with dense short hairs below. The leaf shape is variable, the adult leaves are entire 4,8 cm long and 1,3 cm broad, while those on the lower branches of young trees are often larger (to 10 cm long), and are toothed or somewhat spiny - possibly as protection from grazing animals."

So the common name of the Q. ilex probably refers to the toothed leaves on the lower branches of young trees. By the way my tree is more than 14 years old.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 14:58:35 PM by Aletta »