Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Roses from seed ?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Roses from seed ?
« on: January 19, 2013, 19:57:55 PM »
Has anybody ever tried growing rose bushes from seeds and were they successful ?.
I need to aquire about 200 rose bushes and was just wondering if i should try and attempt them from seeds.

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Roses from seed ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:17:27 AM »
I've grown roses from seed but you would be better of doing cuttings Eddie as you will get exact rose and reproduction is faster.
You can do 10 cuttings per pot with a plastic bag over it. Rooting hormone helps.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Berge

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
Eddie, what Abby says is very true, go and visit your neighbors in pruning time and select only the colours and well known beauties and make your own cuttings.

Chris

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Kareen

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 20:41:13 PM »
I'm a "serial rose killer" - they just don't like me for some unknown reason.... Managed to successfully kill about a dozen rose plants.... :(
"Give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way" - African saying

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 18:41:09 PM »
I recently spoke to a pruner/ worker at Ludwig's Roses, the main nursery, and he said most of their roses can just be grown from cuttings.

Growing them from seed will take ages, but that is obviously the only way to create new varieties, and the rose hybridisers does it continiously.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 21:39:54 PM by Clemens »

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 20:29:22 PM »
I've grown roses from seed but you would be better of doing cuttings Eddie as you will get exact rose and reproduction is faster.
You can do 10 cuttings per pot with a plastic bag over it. Rooting hormone helps.

Abby please give me some more instructions regarding the cuttings and rooting of them.

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 13:10:48 PM »
Eddie :)
I do approx 30 cm cuttings with bloom attached and  deadhead bloom any old or unnecessary leaves but be sure to leave 1 or 2 leaflets.

Using sharp snips are a razor blade, cut the bottom tip at a sharp angle and place into water and then  tap off the excess and dip in routing hormone.

Using a small pot filled with 2 cm of river sand of sand in the bottom the bottom of the pot. Then put the cuttings into the pot approx to the sand level. You can put 6-10 cuttings to a pot.

Put 3 taller sticks in to hold up the plastic bag slipped over the pot. The bag will create a greenhouse effect and keep the plants humid.

Keep the cuttings in a shaded area with some diffused light. After a few weeks check your cuttings for roots. You should be able to lightly tug on them a feel resistance.

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 18:38:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips Abby. Will give it a go. Have some cuttings in potatoes ans some just in plain potting soil.  Let's see just how green my fingers are.

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 23:07:40 PM »
Good luck with your cuttings  :)

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 23:07:40 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016