Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: First flowering Hippeastrum Alicum  (Read 1781 times)

Offline spanisheyes

• Gardener
    • View Profile
First flowering Hippeastrum Alicum
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:28:59 AM »
Attached is a first flowering plant of hippeastrum alicum.
I will try and self it to get seeds I can offer to members.
Does anyone else grow any of the hippeastrum species?
Would love to trade or purchase seed.

Jose
Relax be happy, we are only here for a short period of time.....footprints in the sands of time

Offline Alan

• View Profile
Re: First flowering Hippeastrum Alicum
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 13:32:59 PM »
Hi Jose

Looks very nice. Tell us a bit more about the plant.

By the way, the Papillio seeds you sent to South Africa are growing exceptionally well and about 50% are producing their third leaf. Come summer, I will have some planting to do.

As I told you in our correspondence, I have just started off but would like to stay in touch. When I get to the seed stage, then we certainly can exchange if that is desirable. I should be getting seeds from local bulbs this coming season in SA and I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Alan

Offline spanisheyes

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:40 AM »
Hi Alan,

Glad the Papillio seed have grown.  You are the only person I send papillio seed in different countries that has kept me updated....thank you.  This year I hope the variegated papillio flowers.  The bulb has grown nicely and has four or five nice offshoots around it.
Regarding Alicum, I only have the one flowering sized plants and heaps of young bulbs.  The picture does not do the flower justice but that could be my camera.  I did not attempt to set seed as it was the first flowering.
Hopefully my Mandonii flowers this year too.
I will be interested in bulb seed and clivia seed that you might have to spare so keep in touch.
Jose
Jose
Relax be happy, we are only here for a short period of time.....footprints in the sands of time

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:40 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 13:39:41 PM »
Hi Jose

I had to look up mandonii on the internet. What a gorgeous creature! You must be very proud of her. Is it a large flower or on the smaller side? I bet you cannot wait to try a few crosses of that lady - assuming it will cross-pollinate.

You appear to be quite knowledgeable about the amaryllis family so if you do not mind, here is a question fro you. I tried this last season to cross some of my more common amaryllis plants. Some of the seeds stayed robust for the whole period of their development and others that looked quite healthy, suddenly went soft, stopped developing and turned a kind of yellow brown colour. Is this normal or is it finger trouble on my part.

A few people I have spoken to, have had the same problem but no clue as to why.

Thanks

Alan

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
Very nice Jose  :)

How cool is that so early in the season - might make good breeding material to extend flowering period.
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline spanisheyes

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 14:27:32 PM »
Hi Alan,
I am not an amaryllis expert but do know someone who does a lot of crosses particularly hippis.  I will ask him your question to see if he can help.  Where are you again and does this happen throughout the year.  Give me an idea of what part of the season it happen, ie towards the end of summer or spring?????
Jose

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 20:54:13 PM »
Hi Jose

It has to do with the seed pods once fertilized. They look very healthy and developing nicely. All of a sudden they start going soft and stop developing. Eventually they just shrivel up and drop off.

I am trying to establish if this is normal for some seeds to stop developing or if it is something else. Such as:

Incompatible fertilization between different amaryllis.
Not enough of the correct fertilizer.
Light i.e. not bright enough
Insufficient bulb development from the prior season

I have tried to look on the web with very little success.

Thanks for coming back to me. I will appreciate any help.

Regards

Alan

Offline spanisheyes

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 00:44:52 AM »
Hi Alan,

Below is the reply from Jim L who has been crossing a number of hippis with good success rates:

Yes I am familar with the abortion of  seed in Hippeastrums  particular when making hybrid crosses. It is more common when you try to pollinate the really large flowered Hippeastrums.with vigorous growth with a normal flower sized Hippeastrum. The general conclusions relate to self incompatiability of Hippeastrums when self fertilisation is attempted. However in breeding Hippeastrums at the diploid, triploid or  tetraploids information about breeding with tetraploids and triploids as well as lesser known species  groups for breeding programs 

I quote from an article by Allan Meerow on Breeding  Hippeastrums: " It is generally believed that both diploid and tetraploid hippeastrums are difficult  to breed. Previous reports have stated that if diploids are used as maternal parents with tertraploid pollen, only sterile triploid progeny will result.whereas the recipocal cross with  the tetraploid as the seed parent, and diploid as the pollen parent will rarely set any seed at all. The ovary may begin to swell with developing seeds but then aborts them before full term............."   

Hope this helps, Alan
Jose

Offline Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 17:48:39 PM »
Hi Jose

Thanks very much.

I will now go and get myself educated as regards the diploids etc. A new avenue to explore and hopefully will add more fun to achieving the end result.

I shall also check on Allan Meerow and see if I can perhaps get his book if such a thing exists.

Take care

Alan

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 17:48:39 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016