Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Rose cuttings  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Rose cuttings
« on: June 20, 2013, 08:56:34 AM »
Hi all,
So July is rose pruning time again and I was wondering whether I should try my hand at cuttings. I have a few very nice roses and was thinking of propagating a few for my mom (whom is moving house and needs roses!). I have a few questions. Which medium is best to use to root the cuttings in, course river sand, coco peat?? What type of hormone powder do I use, soft wood, semi hardwood or hard wood? What would be the best temperature to keep the cuttings in in order for them to root?

I am thinking of using pots with a few cuttings per pot and covering the cuttings with the bottom side of 2l plastic Coke bottles to create mini greenhouses.

Cheers
Marco

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rose cuttings
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 16:23:41 PM »
Hi Marco -

I'm by no means a fundi with roses - but heard an interesting tip from an old rose grower:  insert the cut end of your fresh rose steggie/cutting into a raw potato and plant, covering the potato with soil................................I have no idea if it'll work but the potato is supposed to keep the cutting moist and provide it with nutrients.............................

???
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:39 AM »
Rena  :)

I am fascinated by that tip

Can hardly wait ot do some cuttings - I suppose it should work for other hardwoods to ???
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 05:01:39 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
I googled a bit  and seems like there are believers and non-believers of this "tip" - anyway it might be fun to try ;D

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 20:31:04 PM »
Rena  :)

I am fascinated by that tip

Can hardly wait ot do some cuttings - I suppose it should work for other hardwoods to ???

Hi Abby

Have you tried it yet and what was the results ?

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 16:51:01 PM »
I planted 3 potatoed rose cuttings today. While i was preparing the pots the cuttings with potatoes dissapeared. When i turned around looking for them each of my 3 chows was eating a potatoe. Let's see what happens.

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 17:24:01 PM »
Haha!  Don't you feed them, Eddie :o

Just goes to show - I have always believed potatoes were bad for dogs...?

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 13:13:09 PM »
Did not do any good with the potato trick with rose cuttings but got a few nice spuds.

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 18:40:27 PM »
Abby at least it wasn't a totally wasted excersize.

Kind regards
Eddie

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 18:40:27 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Liezel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 08:25:19 AM »
Hi ! :)

I know that this is much later than the original post but if anyone still attempts to experiment with rose cuttings: gardenweb's rose propagating forum has the most awesome advice for anybody seriously interested in experimenting with rose cuttings. Here is the link: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/rosespro  (the posters on the antique rose forum are also very knowledgeable). Regarding growing medium for rose cuttings,I asked somebody at a small rose nursery what medium they use for propagating rootstock cuttings and she reported that she found Culterra Potting Soil to work the best. After trying various different combinations I followed her advice and was quite pleased with the success rate so far.  :D :D :D

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 04:07:24 AM »
I do mine in ordinary potting mix too ... and cover them over with a plastic drink bottle after cutting its base.
My favourite cuttings are always from a bunch of roses I receive ... not many take as they have been refrigerated but he ones that do keep the memory going on and on :)
Sadly I am at a stage where I am running out of space for newbies .... so short of digging some plants out ... very hard decision.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 04:07:24 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »
I have never even tried rose cuttings - and can identify soooooooooooooooo with Abby's remark "short of digging some plants out...very hard decision".............................  My de-cluttering clean out of the garden was supposed to be finished by end of Jan - which became end of Feb - which became end of Mar - and then became before winter......and now it's here and I am nowhere near finished.
(I keep going back to the pile of "to be tossed" plants and finding a little space  where I've just cleared out some other plants :-[ :-[)
But I am so tempted to try some cuttings of Rhapsody in Blue - to give away to friends of course ;D

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 19:54:20 PM »
I have tried rose cuttings in various meduims.

Potatoes - The potatoes tasted very well and the cuttings are contributing to the compost heap.

The best i found was river sand. I planted 3 cuttings to a pot. On the first attempt i put on the hormone powder too thick (dipped the ends in water first) and they all died. Then i powdered them very lightly and found it is quite easy to grow. just keep the river sand moist and they grow. Went to go and visit my grandkids in East London and nobody watered the cuttings. They all died except one.

I planted 163 rose bushes this year and i am sure i can fit another 100 in quite easily.

Bought myself a "Ginger" rosemary plant on the weekend.

Growing 50 cuttings of the normal rosemary at the moment. Quite easy and fun.

Also added a Magenta and Violet Buddleya's to my collection. I just love the colours.

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 23:57:47 PM »
I just love the buddleias - particularly the buzz series and also have the magenta buzz but havent seen any other colours around for a while.

Offline Liezel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »
Arrrg... :'( :'( :'( I know that feeling of garden space running out! A year and a half ago I had s seemingly blank space to fill with endless opportunities and before I knew it .... you know the rest of the story. The sad truth is that I am not even 2/3 done with my wish list. And it is getting more and more difficult to convince my husband that I will "squeeze it in somewhere."I have also taken quite a liking to experimenting a bit with rose hybridizing but have no clue where I will plant all those seedlings and expected seedlings once they outgrow their tiny pots... Any ideas for a double or triple storey garden? Sigh!