Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Warm stratification  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Lauren

• View Profile
Warm stratification
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:00:10 PM »
Hello!

I have a few seeds that are calling for warm stratification - any ideas where I could put these little guys to stay toasty warm during Cape Town's winter?

Thanks  :)

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Warm stratification
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 15:01:16 PM »
How about on top of the fridge at the back where the warm air rizes. I hear quite a few people use that exact location to germinate their Clivia seeds. So it should be a nice spot for warm stratification as well. Clivia seeds like a temperature of about 22 degrees C for germination. I am busy warm stratification some Japanese Maple seeds at the moment and they too like around that temp for warm stratification. I however am leaving the Maple seeds on my enclosed "stoep" where the temperetaure stay nice and warm even through Gauteng winters! Another few feeks and the seeds wil go to the frigde for their cold stratification period.

All the best!
Marco

Offline LeRoy

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 17:34:26 PM »
Hi Lauren

It all depends what the seeds are worth. Last winter I warmed a bedroom to get my magic dogwood seeds to grow. At the same time I also germinated my clivia seeds. The heat certainly made a big difference in the clivia seeds growth.
Search on google for magic dogwood and you should realise why I warmed the room. This is known as a bed of clivia seeds.  The magic dogwood seedlings are still too small in this picture to be seen. Lauren if you would like to contact me I will explain to you how I germinate my clivia seeds when I do not heat the whole room. I do it at a constant temp but to explain to you using my finger would not be as easy as by telephone. If you call me after 7Pm I do have the call more facility and would call you back.
011 4780039

Regards

LeRoy

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 17:36:56 PM by LeRoy »
L G Dale P.O. Box 3449 Cresta Randburg 2118 Gauteng South Africa
011 4780039

Web
https://leroydale.outsystemscloud.com/CliviaSeedSales/

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 17:34:26 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:53:33 AM »
These must be the luckiest Clivia seedlings ever! Theri own bed! With warm blanky?  ;D

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 17:13:09 PM »
Wow LeRoy! 

Do they have soft music playing and candle light as well?
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!