Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Interspecie Clivias.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Interspecie Clivias.
« on: July 15, 2013, 21:59:23 PM »
Myself and Rena had a discussion on these plants, and how underappreciated they are.

Keeping in mind that most flower now in the Southern Hemisphere, in the middle of winter, it is a shame that more people doesn't grow them.

If you are a clivia fundi, you can stop reading here! For the rest, just a short intro and description. Obviously, more can be found on the Clivia Forum, but for the general gardening guys, here you go:

There are 6 species of clivia, the most common being the open, flared petal (sepal) Miniata.

The others are all tubular species. (klokkies) With much smaller and  narrower flowers. They are Gardenii, Robusta, Caulescens, Nobilis and Mirabilis.

The interesting and important thing for us is that you can cross pollinate (mix) these plants with Miniata, and get some very interesting results.

Very important as well are something called Hybrid vigour. (Baster krag) This is a term often used in the breeding of food plants.

Hybrids often grow faster, and flower sooner than either parent plant. And as I said earlier, they flower now, in winter.

The clivia forum had a small Interspecific show this past weekend. Here follows a few photos.

Hope you enjoyed these, and consider it for your garden.

Offline Marco

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Interspecie Clivias.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
I went round the the interspec show the weekend and ended up buying a Light of Budha from Chris de Vry. Was planning on getting a "klokkie" or two but the LOB won :(
Here is a not so good pic taken with my phone:

Enjoy!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:16:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing Clemens - much appreciated - half your luck to have been able to go to the exhibition.

Marco
You sure got a lovely Light of Budha - is that a bloom I am spotting there ?
What about an update ?
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:16:57 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.