Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Oak tree  (Read 920 times)

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Oak tree
« on: July 26, 2013, 15:50:30 PM »
Hello everyone - is there anyone who can give me advice about the goo that our oak tree dropped  that covers EVERYTHING (plants, paving, soil, cars, people.....) with a sticky messy nasty gummy  layer that turns black....
We've been here 14 years and this is the first time this has happened - at the beginning of winter just as the leaves started dropping - and it  lasted about 2 days.
The nurseries have no advice - the municipality says we can pay them to spray the huge tree (at no small cost) but that their spray is a preventative for mildew on the leaves and they're not sure that it will help. 
But one thing I'm wondering about is the bee nest high up in the trunk - can they cause this problem?? 
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Oak tree
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 19:01:12 PM »
Hi Rena.

It's called sooty mold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sooty_mold

Regards

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 19:37:55 PM »
Hi Clemens

Thanks for that info - but now I'm still not sure how guilty the bees are??  It hasn't happpened before, as I said, and the bees moved in about a year ago.......

Some of the plants under the oak look much worse than others - the daylilies look AWFUL and in desperation I'm cutting their leaves short before I try and spray them if necessary.

Someone has suggested a soil application of Koinor - he says about 20 bottles should do the trick.........
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 19:37:55 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 20:34:20 PM »
Hi Rena.

Bees are only beneficial. As long as they are not a dangerous swarm...!

Ant carry aphids around, so you can start by controlling both of them. A more serious approach will be to buy 1l of a systemic insecticide. Find out where you can buy from an agricultural supplier, garden centres etc. are way to expensive.

There will be instructions how to apply the insecticide to trees, and at what dosage. Once every 4 months will do the trick.

Regards.