Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: What's going on in your garden in december 2013?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
What's going on in your garden in december 2013?
« on: December 06, 2013, 19:52:48 PM »
A bit of a white Christmas month....
Star jasmine

Chilean jasmine
URL=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/renadanthony/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00405_zpsf75585f1.jpg.html][/URL]
Shasta daisy

Hippie Alfresco

Streptocarpus

Pandorea
URL=http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/renadanthony/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00451_zps62aead03.jpg.html][/URL]
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your garden in december 2013?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:16:54 AM »
Rena  :) Rena  :) Rena  :)
It is December already ??? What has happened to November ??? and here you have all these beautiful flowers up on the forum and I still have not got my November one's up.

None of the Christmas shopping done, cards written etc 
I see this month is going to be a disaster. It is summer already ???
What happened to the rest of the year ???

Hippeastrum Alfresco is absolutely divine - How many scapes have you got there ??? were you able to get any seed of it ???

Hippeastrum I may have said already is one of my favourite blooms. Some of the whites are slightly fragrant Is H. Alfresco one of them ???

I got a bit waylaid with your shysta daisy so thought I would share some of the info with you

"Leucanthemum x superbum, commonly called Shasta daisy, is a hybrid developed by Luther Burbank (1849-1926) in the 1890s near snow covered Mt. Shasta in northern California. Burbank crossed Leucanthemum vulgare (European oxeye daisy), Leucanthemum maximum (Pyrenees chrysanthemum), Leucanthemum lacustre (Portuguese field daisy) and Nipponanthemum nipponicum (Japanese field daisy) to produce Leucanthemum x superbum which was given the common name of Shasta daisy. This hybrid typically grows to 2-3' tall with a spread to 18" wide.

Genus name comes from the Greek words leucos meaning white and anthos meaning flower in reference to flower appearance.

Leucanthemums were formerly included in the genus Chrysanthemum.

'Aglaia' is a Shasta daisy cultivar that grows to 24" tall with a spread to 18" wide. Large, semi-double daisies (to 4 1/2" diameter) with fringed white petals and a yellow center bloom profusely throughout summer (July to September) on stiff flowering stems rising above a medium to dark green basal rosette of narrow, coarsely-toothed, short-petioled, oblanceolate leaves (to 15" long). Narrow, coarsely-toothed, much shorter, sessile stem leaves are lanceolate.

It is a a very impressive website

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderSearch.aspx

Your garden must smell heavenly with all that Jasmine around.

Never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
Yes, Abby, Alfresco IS divine!  She doesn't have a scent but more than makes up for it with her beauty :)  There were 2 scapes and they lasted so well but are going over now so I'll see what happens about seed.

Thanks for all the info about the shasta.   I used to have the single flowered ones in the garden but this one is a vast improvement on them.

Yep, the wafts of jasmine follow me through the garden and delight me.  And then the gardenias do the same ;D

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 15:03:25 PM »
I'm still going for a white christmas in the garden
The chilean jasmine is worthy of another photo this month

Double flowered fever few

My favourite aggie - double diamond

This one's name slips my mind at the moment...

And just for a bit of colour