Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Potato leaves flattened.  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Boeriemore

• View Profile
Potato leaves flattened.
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
This is the second time I have tried growing potatoes.
They grow up quickly, leaves green. After a month or two
they suddenly lie flat on the ground as if a dog has laid
on them except they are in an enclosure and nothing can
get in to cause them to be flattened.
Can anyone throw some light on what is the cause?

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Potato leaves flattened.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 19:00:26 PM »
Hi there.

Let me take a few guesses why.

Firstly, it's not their active growing season, you should save your seed potatoes (moere) in the fridge's bottom drawer, and plant them out in spring, after the last frost.

Secondly, your plants should be in full sun, in well drained soil.

And lastly, you should ridge them up. After a few weeks, pile more soil around your plants, or make the ridges you planted them on wider and higher. New growth should appear, and potatoes will start developing on the submerged stems.

Another plan is to grow them in tires. Here is a link. http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Grow_Potatoes_in_Tires

Just add more tires as the plants grow and add soil. At harvest time, just unstack the tire-towers, and pick the pototoes from the soil.

Regards.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
 "Tire Potato Growing Tips
Use only certified seed potatoes. These potatoes are certified to be disease-free. You don't want to introduce potato blight into your garden -- it kills more than potatoes. Disease free potatoes are often sold at feed stores and nurseries.
Don't use potatoes bought from the produce department of the grocery store. These are sprayed to keep them from sprouting and will not yield a good crop."

Thanks for that link, Clemens - some of us who have never grown potatoes before didn't know the above :-[ :-[

I had some potatoes that had sprouted in my vegetable rack and planted them is a layer of soil in a big bucket with drainage and just add soil every now and again so that just the top leaves are sticking out..... they have now reached the top of the bucket and look beautiful.........but now the poor things will end up in the rubbish bin after reading about blight......... (I wondered why a visitor who saw my effort with the bucket started laughing - nasty man, he could have told me about this.....)
Retired - now full-time gardener - and loving it!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:58 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Boeriemore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 12:14:06 PM »
Thanks for some interesting information. I obviously did most things wrong.

Offline Clemens

• Pro Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 18:56:41 PM »
Hi Rena.

No, don't trow the potatoes away. The bucket will be full of nice new baby potatoes, use them!

Unluckily few of us will have access to seed potatoes, and therefore have no other option as using store bought potatoes to plant. Use only healthy looking potatoes. You can even split a nice big one in  half or 4, let it dry and dust with sulphur before planting.

I would be more worried about introducing nematodes (aalwurm) to my soil, so the idea of using tires and potting soil you can trow away after harvesting your crop is a better idea.

Farming with potatoes is a tricky business, and farmers use pesticides and fungicides preventatively that most of us don't have access to.

Good luck. 

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 19:25:16 PM »

No, don't trow the potatoes away. The bucket will be full of nice new baby potatoes, use them!

I was hoping to hear that ;D  I just love baby potatoes cut in consertinas and roasted with a mix of onion soup powder and butter....mmmmm

Offline Boeriemore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »
Once again I tried growing potatoes, two, covered in sulphur prior to planting.
As the foliage grew higher I raised the ground level as recommended in a previous post.
The plants were standing proud, about 600mm high, very green, no sign of insects or disease,
but that was yesterday. Today it's like something has laid on then, the stalks are all flattened.
Same problem as before.

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:04 AM »
Clemens - good thing I didnt toss my effort in the bucket -  about a month ago when the leaves  died down I found a heap of baby potatoes inside!  They were delicious - some were tiny like little cherry tomatoes but with an amazing taste - they just melted in your mouth ;D

Offline abby

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 22:25:00 PM »
I plant the potato peels from my spuds (cut a bit thicker around the eye) and seem to get a good crop from them  :)
Never regret anything that made you smile.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 22:25:00 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Rena

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
Oh my word, Abby - you are a clever girl :)

I'm going to try that - it seems such a waste to toss the peels out ...... chicks and dogs cant have them .....compost doesnt want them......