Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Moles!  (Read 12652 times)

Offline Mel

• Platinum Member
  • From RSA to USA! New Gardening Adventure!
    • View Profile
Moles!
« on: November 05, 2007, 20:26:29 PM »
Hi All,
Any ideas on inexpensive, non-fatal mole deterrents?  I loathe the common idea of a hosepipe down the hole, as I'm sure this could drown the poor chap before he has chance to surface elsewhere... I repeat - non-fatal and inexpensive!  Thanks for any novel ideas.  They are in the lawn and in the flowerbeds... not many, but enough for me to source a solution.  Of course, in the latter they disturb seedling, and are potential bulb-eaters!

Thanks,

Mel.
Best Regards,

Mel.

Heinie

Re: Moles!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 22:15:06 PM »
Mel,
the non fatal method will always allow moles to return to your garden. Sometimes the fatal method is the only method if you are seriously annoid with a pest and to me a mole is not really an adorable pet. The hosepipe down the hole to fill it with water is not the ideal solution because with sandy soil the water does not go down the tunnels to far and in clay soil the water goes a long way but not always long enough. Mole tunnels can be as long and far from the vent holes as 100 metres because they make vent holes every 2 to 4 metres.

I have successfully got rid of moles numerous times in sandy and clay soil by putting a hosepipe down the hole to about 2 or 3 metres if possible. Pour 200 ml of petrol down the hosepipe and let it stand for about 30 seconds to allow the petrol to vapourise in the tunnel. Do not close the hole or the end of the hosepipe and ignite the vapour in the hosepipe. Do not pour more petrol because it can be counter active and the explosion may rush out of the hole too and be fatal above ground. The reason for the standing period is that petrol cannot burn but it is the vapour that burns. Take this as a fact for I spent 37 years in the fuel industry. There will be a minor "explosion" underground and the moles will disappear for at least a year or never return because the smell also remains in the tunnels for a very long time for their very sensitive noses.

This is the most effective method to rid your property of underground moles I have come across. The smaller surface moles are harder to control. For them you need to acquire a Jack Russell terrier. I am an animal lover but do not like pests too much and moles are pests in my book.

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 14:20:17 PM »
Nice advice Heinie.How do you ignite the fumes?

I have a client that apparently got rid of his moles by pouring chlorine and two other ingredients under the soil.He told me that 7 explosions followed and no more moles.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 14:20:17 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 15:58:58 PM »
 :D Thanks for the smile guy's.
Things have been a little off balance for me lately, and the mental picture of Heinie and Etienne blowing up their respective gardens with hosepipes, chemicals, petrol and a variety of contraptions (vuurhoutjies Etienne!) has had the tears rolling down my cheeks, just what the doctor ordered.
Another solution however that I have heard of but not expirienced, is to try to create some noise or disturbance in the soil. A suggestion is that little windmills (like a kids party toy) be inserted in a few places in the soil.
Apparently the vibrations from the wind turning the mill creates a vibration in the soil which disturbs the moles and they bugger off to stay with your neighbours instead.

Good luck.

Mike Falconer    :D :D :D

Heinie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 17:30:12 PM »
Etienne, the vapour is ignited at the end of the hose at ground level because it was not removed from the hole yet. Yes, and as Mike says, with vuurhoutjies (matches) or a lighter if you fancy. There is no major hazard above ground. It is for that reason that a limited quantity of petrol is used and left to vapourise underground prior to ignition.

If you use a double potency of petrol, you will experience a tremble of about 1.5 on the Richter scale and some untidy clothing in the neighbourhood.

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 17:48:05 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up for me ;D I was already starting to worry about the "Scorpions" coming to visit me at four in the morning.
I also like the idea,albeit gruesome, because any mole that didn't make the underground tsunami will become compost for a nice green lawn. 8)

Offline Willie du Plessis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 20:10:16 PM »
I have had terrible experiences with moles in sandy soils when I stayed at Rustenburg some 26 years ago.  I had success in completely getting rid of them when I stuck poisoned carrots and potatoes into their tunnels. As far as I can recollect I have used an ordinary agricultural pesticide like Parathion as poison. They did at times push the veggies out of the holes together with some soil.  I then simply put the veggies back. After a couple of days no new molehills appeared and the problems were solved.

Parathion is probably not available on the shelves,  but another agricultural pesticide that does not smell too strong can probably be substituted.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 08:38:43 AM »
Ah, gardeners are not nature lovers. ;) I too have a mole problem, and have done some research on them. There are two types of moles in the cape, the Cape Golden mole and the bigger Mole Rat. The golden mole eats worms and leaves those cracked runnels along the lawn and flower beds. They damage the plants by scratching around in the roots of plants looking for worms, established plants survive. The mole rat leaves those mole hills, and they eat the bulbs and veg etc. I've tried every imaginable cheap humane method from garlic plants to windmills, nothing works. There is a sonic mole deterrent that you can buy for R300 but I don't know if it works. If you don't want to blow them up, as Hennie suggests, then you'll have to dig into your pockets or live with them.

Check out the sonic mole chaser at http://www.commaprojectsint.com/LS997-sonic-molechaser.html - if you go that route, let me know if it works.

PS - My friend has two cats who are quite good at catching moles.

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
Actually i had several clients telling me that the sonic mole chaser only works for a while and then they come back.So people get your thinking caps out...an invention that actually works will make a lot of money!

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 08:47:19 AM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016

Offline Johan & Paula

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 11:56:44 AM »
I once heard that you can put a pipe in your exhaust and the other end in the moles tunnel start the car and gas them out. If it works I don't know. Just my 50 cents worth of info.
Johan Steyn : Clivia, amarilla,bamboo, Aloe, Arum, Acacia. Plumer,handy man,Metal furniture.
+27 72203-2391
Paula van Rensburg: Software devlopment, support & training, bookkeeping 082 303-7092

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 14:56:31 PM »
So, to summarise, short of blowing up your garden, pumping it full of noxious gasses and chemicals, or poisoning your crop of potatoes, the moles stay. They bug me, but not that much. I've taken to growing root veg in pots and raising my seedlings in trays (for the snails as well). I read some people go to extreme methods, digging all the soil out of their gardens, then lining the beds with chicken wire to the surface before putting the soil back. Or, getting aluminium sheeting and digging it into the edges, about a meter deep. But, Hennie, your petrol bombing method takes the cake.  ;D
I sometimes listen to BBC Radio 4's Gardeners Question Time over the net. They had a question about moles last week, and all their experts could come up with was: use the soil the moles push up into mole hills as compost. I think the moles win.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 14:56:31 PM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Heinie

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 17:17:31 PM »
Johan,
the exhaust pipe hydrocarbon gas method is not very successful because a mole builds a vent hole in his tunnel every few metres where the gas will escape as fast as you blow it in and the mole runs to another part of his huge tunneled house. Those are the heaps of sand you see above ground.

I will make up kits for sale, at a nominal price to anyone, consisting of a 200ml bottle, a 3m length of 12mm garden hose and a single match in a box. All you have to do is fill the bottle with petrol, follow the instructions which will be included and Ka-Booooom. Cheers Mr Mole and family. I love traveling and will go anywhere to perform the task providing you settle the traveling expenses too.

There is a cheaper way to do it too. Phone this little guy and get his father to rid your garden of moles. He may just scare them away.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 17:53:44 PM »
That's terrible Hennie. btw - for some reason the word chicken in my earlier post has come out as noneen. Weird.

Offline Rachel

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 17:55:29 PM »
ok, gremlins in the system. noneen: domestic fowl, bird that lays eggs. Can anyone else type that word and have it come out properly?! I think it's that funny little man you posted Hennie, messing with my posts!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 17:57:17 PM by Rachel »

Heinie

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 18:05:34 PM »
Rachel, do you not recognize Baby Bean in all his glory