Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016
Ads by ForumAds

Author Topic: Doret's Fern Garden  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
Doret's Fern Garden
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »

This photo's had been taken last year.  This year it looks a bit different due to the termite factor I had to revamp everything and do it over so I am waiting for it to recover from the shock.

Offline Faan

• Gardener
    • View Profile
Re: Doret's Fern Garden
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »
Doret,
Very nice. What I can see from these pictures you can definitely grow some orchids there as well and in particular Vandas, Cattleyas and some Paphs and some Dendrobium phalaenopsis.  It seems as if you do not have a humidity problem.

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
Well,  Faan thank you I do try my best.  I have imported a few ferns from Thailand a few years ago mainly epiphytes some are still growing some died because of a cold winter.  I have wanted to try orchids for some time now but had always been afraid the humidity is too low.  But on the other hand orchids are not available in our trade.  I have seen a few phalaenopsis colors and sometimes cymbidiums so guess what I would have to import them as well now let me quickly list you all the things that I had to get from SA.  And it had been blood and tears but definately worth every single effort.  exotic waterfowl, canaries, gouldians, Bicheno's, African Violets, Ferns and now in the process of Clivias.

But I do enjoy it immensely.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 11:31:04 AM »
Please consider a small donation to cover expenses.

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:34:50 AM »
If I buy a pressure pump I guess my problem will be solve.  At this stage heat is more of a problem.  I bought one of those misting lines that cools down without wetting.  Now our municipality pressure is too low.  But I don't know which one to get.  If someone knows anything about pressure pumps please let me know.

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:22:55 PM »
Doret,before you buy a pressure pump. A lot of time when i have to install an irrigation system for a client the problem is actually a thin pipe going to a tap.So what we do is lay a 32mm polycob from behind your water meter to a new tap.I'm not saying that's your problem obviously but something simple as that can allow you to use a product like "Coolnet".That is not so expensive and it might be a longterm solution.

I have also find that having a tap near my clivia's(example) makes it easier when I'm busy mixing fertilizers,fungicides and insect control measures.Just an idea...

Btw,your garden looks restive and cool!

Offline Dries

• Driesesgarden
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 13:36:43 PM »
Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards
Dries Olivier
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za
Tel. 0832646230

Offline Doret

• Master Gardener
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 14:50:17 PM »
Etienne,  thanks for the advise I have heard the same thing somewhere.  But you see we live in a complex and our water meter is about 50m from our yard.  So to do this will not be possible. 

I thought I would be able to just put a pressure pump on the line where the tap is that I wanted to use for the misting system.  But was told this wouldn't be possible so now I don't have a clue how to go about. If you have any suggestions that might be able to help me it will be greatly appreciated.

I saw a pressure pump in SA that had a small pressure tank for about 30liters off water and I thought that this pump you could install just on the tap line that you wanted to use but at that stage I didn't ask and now I have no idea what it is called

Offline Etienne

• Platinum Member
    • View Profile
    • thefloweraffect
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 16:54:57 PM »
Ok.So another option in your case is to buy a waterreservoir.Rig it so that it catches your roof water aswell and fill it up from your normal hosepipe.Place a simple water pump submersible inside the reservoir and reduce it to your misting system.The pump i'm thinking of cost R400.Working out the size of the pump is something i can't do.I can give you someone in SA's telnr for expert advice.I'm talking about a water feature pump.

You can also connect it to a watercontroller so that the pump and your water comes on at a certain time of the day for a certain duration.A 4-station controller cost around R430.The water reservoir will be the most expensive.Maybe you have one already?

Offline Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 22:18:34 PM »
So cool and green.  What a lot of thought and hard work you have put into your oasis.  I love it.

Gardener Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 22:18:34 PM »
Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2016